Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I combine Luv vouchers?

ss615
Explorer C

My family received a total of 4 Luv vouchers. Is there  a way to combine those into just 1 voucher? I want to use all 4 on 1 ticket but when trying to purchase, I was only able to put in 2 voucher numbers. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Can I combine Luv vouchers?

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution
I think that each voucher counts as a different payment type and "You may use a maximum of three forms of payments per passenger, which includes one credit card or PayPal account per transaction." (source: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/purchasing-and-refunds/index-pol.html)

You may get a pretty quick response here from someone else to confirm my understanding. You can always also get in touch with Southwest to confirm click "Contact Us" at bottom of page.

Customer | Home airport DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@ss615 wrote:

My family received a total of 4 Luv vouchers. Is there  a way to combine those into just 1 voucher? I want to use all 4 on 1 ticket but when trying to purchase, I was only able to put in 2 voucher numbers. 

If this is a round trip I suggest you book one-ways instead*, then you can apply two vouchers to one-way and two vouchers to the other one-way. I think you are allowed three means of payment so cash plus two vouchers on each flight.

*I suggest you book one-ways all of the time anyway, but that's a big discussion for another thread...

A work around for travel funds that might work here is that you can make a booking for a ticket using the value of the two vouchers, then cancel it resulting in a travel fund for the total value. Then go back and book using two LUV and one travel fund and/or cash. You could repeat the process.

EDIT: three vouchers could be combined if you get a flight exactly the right price, or else two plus some cash to top off. 

Travel funds take on the expiration of the oldest travel fund in the combination, and so does any cash that you put in to top off (unless you were able to find a flight which was exactly the right amount).

I don't recall exactly the guideline for how many methods of payment are allowed but I thought it was at least three, previously four - were you combining the four LUV along with cash and/or travel funds?

i.e. I think you need to get it reduced to two travel funds plus any cash needed to top it off to reach the desired flight's cost.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

Just remember that vouchers do not cover taxes.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@basslaw2010 wrote:

Good point, so you'd need to use two vouchers plus a cash equivalent option - thanks for adding that!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@basslaw2010 wrote:

Good point, so you'd need to use two vouchers plus a cash equivalent option - thanks for adding that!

I heard If you book a flight with a LUV voucher then cancel and request a refund of the original taxes the other funds would be held under the travel fund (confirmation number) so when you rebook for combining with the other LUV vouchers it would count that travel fund as cash so if your flight was $100 and you had a $100 flight you could actually pay $0 you would have an initial charge for taxes then when you cancel and rebook it would be refunded (if you do it within 24 hours) 

arshadul_sw
Explorer C

I was actually able to combine 6 vouchers for buying a trip, basically in the "Apply Travel Funds, LUV Vouchers, and gift cards" section, you can keep adding travel vouchers as many as you need. Like I said I was able to apply six. Here's the instructions:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Southwest-LUV-Voucher-FAQs/ta-p/114727

Hope it helps!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@arshadul_sw 3 forms of payment per passenger.

--TheMiddleSeat

arshadul_sw
Explorer C

@TheMiddleSeat I don't know about the number of forms of payment, what I observed is that in the voucher form of payment you can use multiple vouchers. When you have entered one voucher, you will see that the text boxes for entering the vouchers is still there, and you can continue to add vouchers. I successfully added six of them, and then added my card to pay the balance as the second form of payment. And that worked for me.