Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancel flight and request refund

cshaffer1404
Explorer C

I booked a business flight and my company changed my travel plans.  Can I cancel the round trip flight and request a refund?  What is the fee for cancelling?  The flight is 3 weeks out.  If I can cancel where do I go to cancel?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Cancel flight and request refund

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

From southwest.com click on "change/cancel" and enter your confirmation number and name. No fee to cancel, but type of refund depends on fare type purchased. You'll either get a credit for future use (Wanna Get Away fare, complete rebooked travel within one year of original purchase) or refund (Business Select and Anytime fares). 

mareed
Explorer C

I am not able to complete a rebooked travel within 1 year of my credit.  Can I get a refund? Or what are my options?

franktravel
Aviator B

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@mareed wrote:

I am not able to complete a rebooked travel within 1 year of my credit.  Can I get a refund? Or what are my options?

Assuming you bought a non-refundable Wanna Get Away fare, no. You cannot get a refund.

Your only option to possibly recover some of your funds is to wait until after they have expired (one year from the original date of booking), and contact Customer Relations at 1-855-234-4654 (not the "regular" number) to request they be reissued as a voucher, usable by anyone. The fee for this is $100, which is deducted from the funds balance. You have 6 months from the date of expiration in which to make the request, and the voucher will be valid for 6 months from the date of issue. Be aware that these requests are granted on a case-by-case basis, and everything about this unpublished policy -- including the amount of the fee -- is subject to change at any time. Good luck.

Lavorisj
Explorer C

No able to travel. Is it to late to get a refund?

dfwskier
Aviator A

If you bought a non refundable ticket, you would get a trvel fund that is good for your personal travel  no more than 12 months from the date you bought the ticket.

Explorer C

My husband has reservations August 8th going to Houston, Hobby. And returning on August 12 to Las Vegas. He is 95 years old and have taken a turn for the worst. He is sick. I either want to cancel the reservation, and getting the money back or have ticket changed to me his wife. What can be done in this situration? 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@3369 for your privacy, please edit your post and remove the names and confirmation number ASAP 

Assuming you bought a Wanna Get Away fare... Standard policy allows you to cancel, but funds would have to be used by the same passenger. Sounds like the passenger will not be flying anytime so that's not real helpful to you. People have contacted Southwest and explained situations like this and have been able to get refunds, but I don't think it's common. Start by giving them a call. 

brentclarke
Explorer C

Southwest Airlines refund policies suck and apparently they do not give a **bleep** about training their personell. I made a reservation on 11-26-17. I made an mistake and tried to change it online, which was not allowed. I called and the nitwit on the other end ofthe line said "just cancel it and make another reservation" what she did not bother to tell me is that unless I SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR A REFUND, SWA KEPT THE MONEY IN A TRAVEL FUND. I made another reservation so SWA took $900 out of my account, which overdrafted me. When I  called, I was told that they would refund the money but it would take 7 to 10 business days. That means that the earliest I thought I could get my money was December 5, I called today and the corporate toady told me that the money request had not been sent to the Refund department but that he would send that over. So now my refund will be in my accout no earlier than December 15. MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM THAT ASSCLOWNS AT SWA. You took $443.96 from me and are apparently hlodng it for as long as possible before you give ti back. The agent I spoke to acknowledged your F%#K up, but there is simply nothing you geniuses can to to rectify the situation, so I have about $20 to last me till December 15.