Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelled flights

melgallion
Explorer C

I am a very loyal Southwest customer and never complain. Today, I was totally upset with the whole situation. We were told the flight was delayed but the plane was enroute and we would leave at 10:40. Then they announced the plane has landed. The suddenly out of the blue that airplane was no longer going to Houston. They decided it was now going to Pittsburgh. No explanation of the sudden switch. Then they reboook everyone with no say in the matter. So, my direct flight turn into a stop over in Nashville and instead of getting their at 12pm it is now 5pm. Other people were booked on the later direct flight. There was a reason I books the direct flight in the first place. Inwas trying to  avoid Houston rush hour but now I will be put in the middle of it. They should have at least given us a say in the matter. There were enough gate agents to help people with the rebooking.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Cancelled flights

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to her about your travel trouble. Cancelled flights normally cause travelers some varying amount of pain.

The airline automaticlly tries to find what it thinks is the best way to accomodate travellers after a cancellation, and  rebooks people. However,, after a cancellation, the airline does give you some say in the matter. You can tell the airline that you disagree with the accomodation and want o try something else. The airline will try to work with you.

As an FYI for the future, there is a website that may help you understand what is going on with your flight. It'll show you where you flight is coming from, and where it's going, and then going after that. It'll give you real time flight tracking and might help you understand what is going on.

https://flightaware.com/

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Sorry to her about your travel trouble. Cancelled flights normally cause travelers some varying amount of pain.

The airline automaticlly tries to find what it thinks is the best way to accomodate travellers after a cancellation, and  rebooks people. However,, after a cancellation, the airline does give you some say in the matter. You can tell the airline that you disagree with the accomodation and want o try something else. The airline will try to work with you.

Subject to the direct flight filling up, you can ask for at least one change to the tickets.

After you have requested a specific change they may not change the ticket without adjusting to current charges, or going standby, etc. ...but you should get one chance to check in with them and request something different than what was automatically assigned.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

@melgallion

Sorry your flight was canceled. It sounds like there was an aircraft swap which caused your flight to be canceled since it was going to Houston then instead went to Pittsburgh. Swaps happen for many reasons from staffing to weather or other planes breaking down just to name a few. 

I believe the airline schedules people on the next available flight as soon as they cancel the original flight that way there isn't a 100 plus person line waiting to rebook one by one. You can always talk to an agent at the airport or by phone to see what other options are available as they usually allow you to make 1 change for free. You could also try to go standby on the other flight if it leaves before your new flight in case someone no shows and a seat becomes available. 

Hope the rest of your flights go smoothly!

Blake