Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelling a flight with 2 passengers on the ticket

nikkibelle
Explorer C

I bought a round trip ticket for me and friend to go out to Los Angeles on a Wanna Get Away fare. We can no longer take the trip. If I cancel the flight, will Southwest hold my travel funds (which totaled almost $900) to apply to a whole new trip and will my friend (whose name is on the ticket) be able to come too? 

Also, if our new trip doesn't cost as much as the total travel funds being held, will Southwest save the difference to use for possibly another trip in the future? 

Is it better to cancel a ticket or modify it for a new destination? What happens to the remaining balance if I do it this way?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Cancelling a flight with 2 passengers on the ticket

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@nikkibelle wrote:

I bought a round trip ticket for me and friend to go out to Los Angeles on a Wanna Get Away fare. We can no longer take the trip. If I cancel the flight, will Southwest hold my travel funds (which totaled almost $900) to apply to a whole new trip and will my friend (whose name is on the ticket) be able to come too? 

Travel funds will be in the name of the passenger, so you each will have funds assigned to you, and usable by the individual.

@nikkibelle wrote:

Also, if our new trip doesn't cost as much as the total travel funds being held, will Southwest save the difference to use for possibly another trip in the future? 

Yes, the travel funds will be in each person's name for one year from the original purchase date for use on other flights.

@nikkibelle wrote:

Is it better to cancel a ticket or modify it for a new destination? What happens to the remaining balance if I do it this way?

Remaining balance is the same either way. A few thoughts:

• Canceling and re-booking is recommended for refundable fares to maintain refundability, which goes away if you make changes.
  • For non-refundable fares you would want to change the ticket if you have Early Bird Check In, the EBCI fee would be forfeited if you cancel.
  • If you have a refundable fare and EBCI - whoops! you should buy BS instead of Anytime to maximize points, get better boarding position, and a beverage ticket, and the boarding position benefit would be refundable while EBCI is not.
Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.