Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carry on luggage size

jennyperez7
Explorer C

Will it be an acceptable carry-on if it is 11 x 20.5 x 11.8 inches?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Carry on luggage size

franktravel
Aviator B

Carryon items are limited to one bag plus one smaller, personal-type item. Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10x16x24 inches. All Customers and Employees and their items are subject to a thorough physical search. 

Sablanton
Explorer C

According to SWA’s website, carry on luggage can be 24” tall so I used this as my guide when I purchased a new bag. However on a recent flight I was stopped by the flight attendant as I was boarding who told me my bag was 2” too tall.  I showed her the website and the tag that came with my bag (I kept it in my bag since my husband was skeptical that 24” was correct) and she allowed me to take it on. We sat in the row in front of the emergency exit and my bag did not fit with the wheels out; we had to turn it sideways. On the return flight I put my bag on the diagram at the gate to ensure it was the right size, and it was. If I were to do it again I would go a size smaller since this seems like it’s going to be a hassle every time we fly. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Since carry on bag dimensions vary widely, the best answer is "maybe." Yours seems very close to the allowed size, so I would suspect you'll have no problem. Good luck!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest in general with the fleet of 737 aircraft can handle carryon luggage that other airlines also accept.

The reverse isn't true if you end up on a regional jet on one of the other carriers that has tiny overhead bins.

You can check the SWA booking website by clicking on the flight information to see if it is scheduled to be a 737-700 or 737-800...these have ample overhead bin sizes, especially the 800's so if you are near the limit you should still be fine.

Don't sit in the front rows when you board, the overhead bins at the front of the aircraft are slightly reduced size compared to the rest.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.