Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carry-on size limit

jnickel
Explorer C

I am traveling with my high school band, and I play the alto saxophone, a fairly large instrument to carry on. I would like to refrain from taking it as a checked bag, as I worry about possible damages, regardless of how careful any loading staff are. I understand the size limitations are 10inx16inx24in, and my case is perfectly fine on two of those dimensions. The problem arises with the length, as my case is just over the 24 inch limit, being around 24.3~4 inches in length. Is this too long, or is there enough wiggle room in the baggage size policy for me to take this case on as a carry-on? Any help is much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance,

Jake

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Carry-on size limit

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

If your musical instrument (including case or covering) exceeds the sizing requirements for carryon items (10"x16"x24"), it can be carried onboard if it will fit in an overhead bin or under a seat onboard the aircraft and there is space available when you board the aircraft for the instrument.

jmcmd
Adventurer C

So what you are saying is that there is no carry on limit as long as it fits???  It could take up a whole bin above a  row of 3 seats and that is ok?  Why have rules at all?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@jmcmd wrote:

So what you are saying is that there is no carry on limit as long as it fits???  It could take up a whole bin above a  row of 3 seats and that is ok?  Why have rules at all?

The limit is the size posted. The reply was specific to musical instruments, which have federally mandated additional allowances.