Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changed last name after ticket purchase

mialtrujillo
Explorer C

Hi! I bought my airline ticket under my maiden name and changed my last name after purchasing the ticket to my married name. My understanding is that I am not able to change my name on the ticket without buying a whole new ticket and I can’t get through the customer service line. Can I still board if I bring my marriage license?! 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Changed last name after ticket purchase

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@mialtrujillo,

Are you flying domestically or internationally?  My response below assumes domestic travel only.

The TSA website provides some information on this subject here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification.   I am not a TSA expert, but I believe from experience and from reading this information, that you could still get through the TSA checkpoint, but you would have to agree to additional screening - patdown, bag swab, etc.  That is what I had to do when Texas gave me a temporary driver's license.  This website says a temporary DL is not an acceptable form of ID, but then under the "Forgot your ID?", it says that if one arrives without a valid ID, one can still get through with additional screening.  I guess that is what they did for me - even though I presented the document (which had no picture) and explained the situation, they just treated me as if I had not presented one.

Definitely arrive early, and I would guess that the TSA people at different airports may have different guidelines (again, based on my experience with the temporary DL). 

Please come back to the Discussion after your trip and let us know how it went if you decide not to change the ticket.

Re: Changed last name after ticket purchase

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@mialtrujillo wrote:

My understanding is that I am not able to change my name on the ticket without buying a whole new ticket and I can’t get through the customer service line.

Previous threads have indicated Southwest will change the name if you provide documentation and have some time to wait for the change to happen. I'm curious where you heard you had to buy a new ticket and what problems, besides long hold times, you're having with customer service. 

As @CareforNOLA mentions you'll probably be able to fly without a change, but it can be an exercise in patience with TSA.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!