Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing Passenger on Ticket Booked with Points

Adorkibul
Explorer C

I know that Wanna Get Away tickets are non transferable, but if I book one with points I can just cancel the ticket and book a new one in a different name correct? I know I will have to pay the diff in price. My mom is having some heart issues and she’s not sure if she will be able to go on our cruise in Sept, so I may need to change her ticket to someone else.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Changing Passenger on Ticket Booked with Points

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

You are correct.

When you cancel a flight that was booked with points, the point go back into your RR account.  You can then use those points to book a flight for anyone.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Adorkibul wrote:

I know that Wanna Get Away tickets are non transferable, but if I book one with points I can just cancel the ticket and book a new one in a different name correct? I know I will have to pay the diff in price. My mom is having some heart issues and she’s not sure if she will be able to go on our cruise in Sept, so I may need to change her ticket to someone else.

Sorry to hear that, I hope she's feeling better in time to go on the trip.

Points bookings are refundable - keep her ticket and book the alternate too (now if fares are low), then cancel whichever one doesn't go.

No reason to cancel hers too early in case she can go at whatever the cutoff time is.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Adorkibul wrote:

she’s not sure if she will be able to go on our cruise in Sept, so I may need to change her ticket to someone else.

I hope she feels better soon!

On the cruise front I also recommend checking with the cruise line about their policy to see if they allow/how they handle name changes both before and after the final payment due dates.

Customer | Home airport DCA