Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing flight subject to expiration date?

jlhay
Explorer C

Hi I know that using travel funds means I have to use them by the expiration date of the original ticket purchase. But can I change a flight and pay any difference past the original expiration date?  For example I have a flight now for Nov that has an expiration of March 16, 2020.  Can I change that flight to April 2020?  I paid cash for it originally and it’s never been canceled. 

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Changing flight subject to expiration date?

SWDigits
Aviator A

You need to complete your travel within one year of the original purchase date.  Is it correct to state that you purchased your ticket using cash (not points and no other type of voucher or travel fund) on March 17, 2019?

Customer | Home airport DCA

Re: Changing flight subject to expiration date?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@jlhay wrote:

Hi I know that using travel funds means I have to use them by the expiration date of the original ticket purchase. But can I change a flight and pay any difference past the original expiration date?  For example I have a flight now for Nov that has an expiration of March 16, 2020.  Can I change that flight to April 2020?  I paid cash for it originally and it’s never been canceled. 

Thanks 

As SWDigits said, travel must be completed by one year from the original purchase date.

Addressing you specific situation, the web or app will not even let you change to a flight past March 16, 2020 -- regardless if you pay additional money or not