Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing last name on ticket

KChristman
Explorer C

I am waiting on the last name on my rapid rewards account to be updated and I need to purchase tickets for November flights. If I purchase these tickets before the name is changed, will my tickets that have already been purchased also be updated? 

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Changing last name on ticket

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @KChristman,

The name on your tickets will not be automatically changed if you change your name on your RR Account. 

However, you can get the name change on your account pretty quickly by contacting @Southwestair on Twitter. They'll just ask for a photo of your marriage license and ID - the update will take only a few minutes. Happy Travels!

kcarp24
Explorer C

I have recently gotten married, but I have a flight in a few weeks under my maiden name. I have changed my drivers license to reflect my married name. What do I need to do for my ticket to be changed? Thank you.

AshleyMainz
Employee
Employee

Hi @kcarp24

Welcome to the Southwest Airlines Community and congratulations on your marriage! You will need to contact Southwest to change the name on your reservation. You will need to submit copies of your old and new state-issued identification cards or a copy of your marriage certificate. You can send the information to the Customer Relations/Rapid Rewards Department by mail at: P.O. Box 36647, Dallas TX, 75235 or by fax to 877-506-0154. Please include the confirmation number associated with your reservation. 

Happy travels!

Ashley

Ashley
Community Manager
Southwest Airlines Community

tailakellie
Explorer C

I recently got married. My legal last name is my married name, and it has been changed with the SSA. I have not, however, received my new driver's license with my married name so it still states my maiden name. My flight ticket states my married name. Will I have any problems with the names not matching if I bring along my marriage certificate? Or do I need to change my name on the ticket to my maiden name?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @tailakellie,

This is actually a question for the TSA - you can find more (and official) information here. That said, I can tell you that typically, if you bring along a copy of your marriage license as proof of your recent name change, the TSA will accept your form of ID. However, you should still verify that with TSA and reach out to them for the final word!

mahegger
Explorer C

Hi Ashley, 

How long does it usually take for the name to be updated on the reservation once they have received our documentation?  Also, is there an email address we can send it to (vs. fax or by mail)?

Thanks!

Morgan

LyndsayW
Explorer C

Hi there, to change my name on my RR account, can I fax copies of my old and new Social Secuirty cards?

pumpkingirl60
Explorer C

How fast can this be done?

I have a flight in 4 days

changed my license to my new married name.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@pumpkingirl60 wrote:

How fast can this be done?

I have a flight in 4 days

changed my license to my new married name.

Perhaps it woud be easier, at this point, to follow Lindsey's advice from earlier in the thread:

"

"Hi @tailakellie,

This is actually a question for the TSA - you can find more (and official) information here. That said, I can tell you that typically, if you bring along a copy of your marriage license as proof of your recent name change, the TSA will accept your form of ID. However, you should still verify that with TSA and reach out to them for the final word!

Lindsey
Community Manager
The Southwest Airlines Community "