Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked Luggage weight limitations per person.

divaddesigns
Explorer C

Just recently I flew from Phoenix to San Jose, then from Sacramento to Phoenix. Trip #1 had two checked luggage pieces,both same in size & weighed under 50 Lbs. On my return flight I still had two checkin pieces except one was changed to a smaller size. The contents however did not change, just shifted.  Obviously the smaller one had less room.  in order to not leave anything behind, i used space saver bags and shifted some of the contents from one to the other.  None the less the weight of both pieces came out to be actually less because of the smaller size.  Heres my question: If the limitations are not to exceed 50 lbs per luggage piece & a person is allowed 2 pieces of luggage & the two pieces of luggage combined still does not exceed SWA's 100 pound limit per piece, then why was I charged for the overage.   The same thing happened to my cousins attending the same wedding.  Does anyone have a reasonable explanation other than "Thats just how it is" or "If they dont people will take advantage of the system" I am one person that is allowed up to 100 lbs of checked luggage.  If i only have one to check in then so be it; but if i have two and one is over 50 and the other isnt then shouldnt i be awarded the difference in weight instead of being charged? Does it have to do with space on board, the ramp agents packing it in the plane.  Because if thats the case, what happens when a piece is over sized and over weight and they've allowed it to be checked after paying.  Still doesnt make sense to me.  Anyone?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Checked Luggage weight limitations per person.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@divaddesigns wrote:

I am one person that is allowed up to 100 lbs of checked luggage.   

Actully, you are one person entitled to two free checked bags neither of which can weigh more than 50 pounds. That is the rule.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

The issue is having a bag that is too heavy for the handlers - the allowance is only per bag, not per person.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@divaddesigns wrote:

what happens when a piece is over sized and over weight

From the Southwest Checked Baggage page, where additional detail is also available:

"Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs."

Customer | Home airport DCA

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

We're sorry for letting you down. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we aren't equipped to assist you here, but we recommend reaching out to us via the options in the link below. 

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager