Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checking Liquid Protien Drinks

CoolOctober
Explorer C

I recently had major tongue surgery for cancer and am on a liquid diet. I am flying to La Guardia -NYC from Austin, TX and want to put 36 each 11 Oz cartons of protien drink in my check in bag. Would this be permissable? I think this equals under 25 pounds, well under the 50 pound limit.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Checking Liquid Protien Drinks

TigerMO
Explorer C
Solution

You can put. as much liquid in your checked luggage as you want, as long as it's not non-alcoholic and the weight is less than 50 pounds.  If you meant to ask about your carry-on bag, you are limited to one 3.4 ounce (100mL) bottle.

I'd suggest you pay attention to the weight limitations, since each 11 fl.oz. bottle would weigh about 11.3 ounces. Thirty-six of them would weigh a little over 25 pounds, not under as you said, and that's the weight of just the milk and not the packaging, too. That allows you less than 25 pounds for everything else that you put in that checked bag, although you're allowed 2 checked bags.

Also, I'd suggest you put those cartons in Ziploc bags and hope for the best. The pressure change in the cargo hold might not play well with paper cartons. Also, unless you pad them well, they will get tossed around ruggedly inside the bag while being loaded/unloaded by the ground crew. I never use soft-side luggage when I transport liquids.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@CoolOctober,

Thank you for posting your question in the Southwest Community. You've come to the right place for advice from other expert travelers. On behalf of Southwest Airlines, I want to wish you a full and speedy recovery from your surgery. We look forward to having you onboard with us. 

CoolOctober
Explorer C

I always fly SWA if given the chance. I love the airline and am smug 🙂 when I hear people and friends talk about their bad experiences with other airlines.