Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checking baggage

Explorer C

When Southwest rebooks you to a different flight because your first flight was delayed so much it wasn’t going to make it for connecting, they should let you check bags at your original check-in time instead of making you wait until 4 hours before your new flight which is leaving 6 hours later. We can’t even go through to get food or a drink. We had a valid boarding pass for the original time until they cancelled it. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Checking baggage

bec102896
Aviator A

Hello

i think they do the 4 hours because if It sits around longer maybe it's more of a chance it gets misplaced or if a bad apple gets a hold of your bag and goes though it (hopefully that doesn't happen). although I do wish I could check a bag before the 4 hours in that case but I think the policy is just to protect your bag. 

Another idea is If your bag doesn't have liquids you could carry it past security and check it later or if you are traveling with multiple people and want food from past security send one person through to get food and bring it out while the others wait with the bags if one of you have pre check or the fly by lane I would send that person as you can go through security more than once even though it may be a hassle. 

hope this helps 

Blake