Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Chewing Tobacco Onboard Southwest Flights

flyingyall
Explorer C

This is a general comment to Southwest Airlines. I love flying SW and have never had any issues with the airline or the flight attendants. That being said I fly a moderate amount for work. On multiple occasions I have sat next to people on several flights now who consume chewing tobacco during the flight, and it’s definitely an unpleasant experience for everyone around. It smells, and the person inevitably spits the tobacco out into a bottle. I know there is no current policy, but I am hoping you could look into creating a policy regulating the use of chewing tobacco during the flight. My main issue is that by dipping, chewing, and spitting tobacco, one passenger creates an unpleasant flight experience for multiple passengers in the vicinity. It’s not enjoyable watching the person in the middle seat spit smelly tobacco juice into a clear coke bottle. I know other airlines have policies banning the use of all tobacco products inflight. Was just inquiring if there’s any way y’all could look into this. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Chewing Tobacco Onboard Southwest Flights

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@flyingyall wrote:

This is a general comment to Southwest Airlines. I love flying SW and have never had any issues with the airline or the flight attendants. That being said I fly a moderate amount for work. On multiple occasions I have sat next to people on several flights now who consume chewing tobacco during the flight, and it’s definitely an unpleasant experience for everyone around. It smells, and the person inevitably spits the tobacco out into a bottle. I know there is no current policy, but I am hoping you could look into creating a policy regulating the use of chewing tobacco during the flight. My main issue is that by dipping, chewing, and spitting tobacco, one passenger creates an unpleasant flight experience for multiple passengers in the vicinity. It’s not enjoyable watching the person in the middle seat spit smelly tobacco juice into a clear coke bottle. I know other airlines have policies banning the use of all tobacco products inflight. Was just inquiring if there’s any way y’all could look into this. Thanks!

Wasn't sure, had to Google it. That didn't turn up much either...here was one official response from several years ago that there is not a policy about it:

https://twitter.com/southwestair/status/546028875147247616?lang=en

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I have experienced this too, and it is - indeed - gross. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

freefall83
Explorer C

I couldn't agree more with invading individuals personal space in such a confined area.  Poor personal hygiene (greasy hair), obesity, all natural "deodorant", the odor of stale smoke from a smoker. All things that make my stomach turn more than someone salivating into a closed container.   It's a shame that we have ceased to evolve as a society.  Ugh so frustrating.   

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

I'd suggest you send your concern directly to Southwest (this is primarily a customer to customer forum). You can use any of the methods below under Contact Us.