Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

College Student Lost ID - Need to travel home

dkbivins25
Explorer C

Hi, 

My college student lost his drivers license, and does not have another valid government issued form of ID for travel - he only has his expired drivers license. Will he be able to travel using his college issued ID?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: College Student Lost ID - Need to travel home

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Not using the college ID, but yes he'll be able to travel most likely.

He should be okay - take a few of the forms of ID that he does have and arrive early at the airport as he may need to go through a short interview to demonstrate identity. 

The expired license isn't valid for TSA alone, nor is the college ID, but it could be helpful to establish identity as one of many questions TSA will have.

Allow at least an extra 30 minutes for security to answer a few questions.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

What @DancingDavidE said!

Here is more from TSA's site specifically on the matter:

Forgot Your ID?

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

eugenepatterson
Explorer C

First of all - how is it even possible not to have any government issued form of ID? Great news you can verify your identity at the airport but will it be charged additionally? I also heard that it could depend on the flying company: some will prevent you from boarding a plane without valid id.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification writemyessayfast

dfwskier
Aviator A

@eugenepatterson wrote:

I also heard that it could depend on the flying company: some will prevent you from boarding a plane without valid id.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification writemyessayfast

Unless a traveler obtains a boarding pass at the counter at the airport, the airline won't ever ask to see your ID. You can obtain  boarding pass in lots of ways that do not require an ID.

iaawe8286
Explorer B

Hello, friend

I went through this journey two years ago since I misplaced my small wallet after I put on the gas for the rental car. The manager turned the car upside down for me to help me to look for it while I returned my car rental at the Enterprise office in Burbank.

I was so stressful about everything at that time.  As those top contributors indicated the whole process which I went through exactly what they described on the previous post.  

I went through the check point and went to the gate to sit down on the chair. Then, I discovered my small wallet was in the secret spot where I had never used it.  It fell into this little space of my backpack while I was rush to get back on the road. 

It was a very scary and hilarious flight to me!