Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

College Student Lost ID - Need to travel home

New Arrival


My college student lost his drivers license, and does not have another valid government issued form of ID for travel - he only has his expired drivers license. Will he be able to travel using his college issued ID?


Re: College Student Lost ID - Need to travel home

Top Contributor

Not using the college ID, but yes he'll be able to travel most likely.


He should be okay - take a few of the forms of ID that he does have and arrive early at the airport as he may need to go through a short interview to demonstrate identity. 


The expired license isn't valid for TSA alone, nor is the college ID, but it could be helpful to establish identity as one of many questions TSA will have.


Allow at least an extra 30 minutes for security to answer a few questions.



Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: College Student Lost ID - Need to travel home

Rising Star

What @DancingDavidE said!


Here is more from TSA's site specifically on the matter:


Forgot Your ID?


In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.


You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

-A List Preferred, Companion Pass holder, Community Champion.