Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Customer of size boarding pass / security and preboard question..

rm817
Explorer C

I haven't flown SWA in over 10 years and back then I wasn't a customer of size... I have 2 seats for myself traveling alone on an upcoming flight.   I saw something somewhere that says you can't load a boarding pass on your phone if you have more than 1 ticket.  Or maybe that was more than 1 passenger.  Will I have to print 2 boarding passes and/or check in for both of my seats to get past security, or what?  Will the 2nd seat be lost as a no show if I don't check it in?   I was told when I get to the gate, I can ask for my pre-board pass.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Customer of size boarding pass / security and preboard question..

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rm817 wrote:

I haven't flown SWA in over 10 years and back then I wasn't a customer of size... I have 2 seats for myself traveling alone on an upcoming flight.   I saw something somewhere that says you can't load a boarding pass on your phone if you have more than 1 ticket.  Or maybe that was more than 1 passenger.  Will I have to print 2 boarding passes and/or check in for both of my seats to get past security, or what? (not for security...but...)  Will the 2nd seat be lost as a no show if I don't check it in? (YES)  I was told when I get to the gate, I can ask for my pre-board pass. (And refund document)

This one says "reserve your boarding positions" so I believe it is correct to check in both seats.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/index-pol.html

In regard to security I think you should use the one with your actual middle name and not the "X" as the middle name. There's nothing that prevents you from buying another ticket while you are already inside the airport for instance - TSA will only be verifying your identity and screening you for security purposes, they don't care if you have one or two boarding passes, as long as you show them a valid one. 

It may be easiest for you to print both anyway when you discuss the refund documentation at the gate with the agent. I'm not sure how this will work with an electronic boarding pass...however, you can test it at home since you'll check in like normal at T-24 hours (or whenever since you may preboard) and be able to see if the boarding passes load electronically before you head to the airport so that you know if you need to print them or not.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Customer of size boarding pass / security and preboard question..

dfwskier
Aviator A

Morning.

First of all, security (TSA) only checks to verify that you have a valid ticket , that you've checked in, and that you can prove who you are. Other than that, it has nothing to do with the ticketing process. So no, you won't have to print two boarding passes.

You should be able to sort it all out at the gate. Just be sure to get to the gate ore than 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure time.