Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Damaged Baggage

reneebelcher
Explorer C

On a family trip to New Orleans for a cruise with my family, a piece of luggage was lost. We were told to wait for the next two flights in case the bag was one one of those flights. It was not, and after waiting we had no time to stop and buy anything for the cruise so we had one of our kids that had to take a week long cruise with nothing but the clothes he had on, swim trunks and another t-shirt he had in his backpack. He made the best of it but it was stressful to say the least. Not what a vacation should be.

On returning we were diverted (by the cruise line) to another port and bused to the New Orleans Port because of the coming Hurricane. We went to the airport and were among the travelers trying to get out of New Orleans before the storm hit. The lost bag was waiting at the New Orleans airport so we went to pick it up. 

As we were trying to pick the bag up, the baggage office was absolutely packed because, we were told, an entire plane of luggage was lost. So everyone on the plane was trying to file a claim. We were handed the bag and shooed away. No mention of the 4 hour time limit. Nothing....Remember-we are trying to get the heck out of dodge before the storm hits. Last thing on our minds are checking the bag-we are trying to make another flight!

Fast forward-we file a claim and are denied after being informed about the time limit...insert eye roll here...perfect.

Everything in the bag is molded and nasty!!!

I have filed a claim to have the case reevaluated as I was encouraged to do by a Southwest employee after telling her the circumstances. I have not heard anything and each time I try to contact them, either I am "emailing the wrong office" or "it's being looked" and "be patient".......This happened in July.....it is now September.

Any thoughts on my next step? 

I have emailed bagclaim@southwest.com and that keeps coming back undelivered.....UGH.......

Help...........................

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Damaged Baggage

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

Use the "contact us" link to reach customer relations if you haven't tried that number yet.

Customer Relations 1-855-234-4654

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

reneebelcher
Explorer C

Thanks for the response. I have called several times and the wait time has always been rather long. I'll try once again though..Can't hurt..

dfwskier
Aviator A

You could try e-mail or snail mail.

Both options are listed on the contact us page referenced above.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@reneebelcher wrote:

Thanks for the response. I have called several times and the wait time has always been rather long. I'll try once again though..Can't hurt..

You may also want to try the chat function within the Southwest app.

Customer | Home airport DCA