Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Damaged luggage

Mariomama
Explorer C

Returned last night from a delayed flight from Orlando.  Traveling family of 4 arrived at Pittsburgh it was almost midnight.  Children helped to grab luggage and loaded up car.  Today after returning home from work, I started to unpack after dinner and noticed 3 out of 5 bag were damaged.  I have never had an issue with damaged luggage before, but not happy with policy of only having 4 hours to show airline.  One bag, handle torn and ripped the bag.  One suitcase used first time cut across the front and other suitcase zipper pull missing and decoration on front almost ripped off.  Leaves a bad taste for traveling late at night....were handlers not as careful to get done in Florida.  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Damaged luggage

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry your bags were damaged and you didn't notice until after the 4 hour rule had passed 

I believe that rule is in place to prevent the oh the airline broke my bag when really it could have happened after you got home (not saying you would do that but some would) i am sure if you could report a day or 2 later you would have people that would do that to try and get a free bag. 

I would recommend contacting customer relations though so they can document the complaint by reaching out to Southwest in a DM on Twitter or by calling customer relations at 855-234-4654 they may not be able to replace the bags since time has passed but they can at least pass on the feedback for training Purposes

Hope this helps

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

Sorry your bags were damaged and you didn't notice until after the 4 hour rule had passed 

I believe that rule is in place to prevent the oh the airline broke my bag when really it could have happened after you got home (not saying you would do that but some would) i am sure if you could report a day or 2 later you would have people that would do that to try and get a free bag. 

I would recommend contacting customer relations though so they can document the complaint by reaching out to Southwest in a DM on Twitter or by calling customer relations at 855-234-4654 they may not be able to replace the bags since time has passed but they can at least pass on the feedback for training Purposes

Hope this helps

Blake 

You can definitely still let them know. Although the obligation to do anything may have passed, they may offer something for your inconvenience, especially if there were a lot of similar complaints at the same time - at a minimum they will know to rectify the situation with the staff, repair a defective machine, or take some other action.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@Mariomama just like you mentioned, after arriving on a late flight, all you want to do is get the car loaded at the airport and get home. Not to mention the children were the ones who loaded the car and wouldn’t necessarily notice the damage. Like what @DancingDavidE said, it’s your right to report the damage, and you deserve the opportunity to express your concerns. 

Good luck, and I hope SWA can turn around this situation and make it better. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

anna123
Explorer C

The worst customer experience in DEN over a damaged ski bag from Bill and Supervisor Jill- there was no apology for the damage until I pointed it out to them - Bill sarcastically told me I should have a hard ski bag - southwest wrippef the handles off our hard golf bag so they aren’t very good with hard cases either - they told me how I could go shop for a new one with their check for $75/ that won’t replace it - as I left the supervisor Jill was shaking her head at me / in shock at how bad the customer service was - 

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@anna123

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Bill in DEN. Also sorry to hear about the dammaged items. I would recommend you reach out to customer relations at 855-234-4654 so they can look in to your situation further. You can also send a message though the website listed on your dammaged bag report and someone from the central baggage office can respond. 

Hope the rest of the trip was great!

Blake