Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Difference in fare

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @COMOM,

That is correct - travel credit stays with the individual person, and that person can use the funds toward a future trip. Funds are always valid for one year from the original date of purchase. So, if you bought your tickets on February 1, 2017, those funds would be valid until February 1, 2018 (and travel must be completed, not simply booked, by that date).

stacidelfin
Explorer C

Hi Lindsey

I want to make sure I understand this poilicy correctly (so I am using a pretend trip as an example), can you correct me if I am wrong anywhere?

If I buy Wanna Get Away tickets for my husband and myself for a trip to Denver today for $300 each, but don't leave until 5/1, and the cost drops at any point before we take board, say to $200 each, we can rebook the same exact flights at the lower rate and receive a $100 credit to each of our names that can be applied to future flights within a calendar year from the departure date?

How many times can I rebook a ticket to continue getting lower fares? How close within the date of departure can I rebook a ticket?

I never knew this existed so I am very excited to learn more (and save myself from future travel stress!)

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

You can change your ticket as many times as the price goes down for free.  You credit will need to be used 1 year from the purchase date not the flight date.  Good Luck! 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @stacidelfin,

Yes, you've got it all right, except for one thing. The funds are valid one year from the date of purchase, not from the date of departure. So, as long as you use those funds toward another trip that will be completed before the expiration date, you're good!

stacidelfin
Explorer C

Awesome!! Thank you for the quick response!

stacidelfin
Explorer C

I forgot to ask what exactly I need to do to receive the lower fare. Do I have to cancel my current ticket and rebook at the new price or can I modify the reservation and receive the new flight?

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

Go to Southwest home page and click on "Change flight"  then pick the same flight.

Good luck!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If it's a Wanna Get Away fare, simply rebook online and choose the same flights (at the lower fare). This will ensure you don't lose EarlyBird Check-In, if purchased. The fare difference will be held as travel funds for future use under the confirmation number, valid for one year from the date of purchase. 

If it's a Business Select, Anytime or any other refundable fare, cancel for refund and then rebook. This will ensure you don't lose refundability if needed later.

TinaSzorc
Explorer C

I just rebooked my flights for a lower faure and it sais I had a $152 credit.  Where is that credit? How do I use it when I book another flight?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The credit is saved under the confirmation number. You'll apply those funds by entering that confirmation number when you book a new flight. Remember though, the funds expire one year from the original date you made the first purchase, and all travel must be completed by then. Also, and new reservation will take on that earlier expiration date, so be careful. Hope this helps!