Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Discontinued flights

nwoble
Explorer C

Anyone know if Southwest is discontinuing service from Orange County to Hartford?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Discontinued flights

bec102896
Aviator A

Just did a quick search and it looks like they are only going to have a flight from Orange County to Hartford on Saturday's beginning in January. 

Hope this help

Blake 

nwoble
Explorer C

Thank you Blake for looking into that for me.  I did send an email to Southwest and below was their response.

Such a shame too since they will be losing not just me but 5 other family members who use Southwest exclusively for the SNA to BDL flights several times a year. 

Looks like we will be using a new airlines.....

"Dear Nancy,

Thanks for contacting us.  We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Creating flight schedules for our current destinations and making plans to serve new cities is an ongoing process for our Network Planning Department. They take in to account local demand, current economic factors, and the airline industry as a whole, and they adjust our flight schedules accordingly.

Changes in traffic can be seen in certain markets from season to season.  Since we don’t have an unlimited number of aircraft and Employees, we have to make the most out of what we have and create a flight schedule that maximizes our resources, ensures cost savings, and offers the best overall product to our Customers.  One way our Network Planning Team achieves this is by identifying our seasonal markets and adjusting our schedule to fit, which means that we may offer certain service between two markets during a “high-traffic” season.  And, the same applies to some of the seasonal nonstop flights that we offer.

Ultimately, our goal is to enable our Customers to fly when and where they want. In order to do so, we must be strategic in our scheduling by pruning unproductive flights, making adjustments, and trimming frequencies to best match supply with demand.  If we were to offer some of our seasonal flights yearround, we would have to charge higher fares during the peak travel periods to offset our losses during the down times.  While the routes available during the off-peak times of the year may not be quite as convenient, we offer connecting flights yearround for most—if not all—of our seasonal markets.

For now, we have found that offering seasonal flights is a win-win for our Customers and our Company.  Still, I’m truly sorry that, in the short term, you might be inconvenienced. We have tracked your feedback for our Senior Leaders via our monthly summary.  In the meantime, we are constantly reevaluating our performance and our flight schedules, so check out Southwest.com the next time we release a new schedule.

We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you onboard whenever your travels take you to the cities that we serve.

Sincerely,

Hanifa, Southwest Airlines

The file reference number for your email is 2256553820707."

bec102896
Aviator A

So based on Hanifa's response it is telling me it is a seasonal change meaning it may come back at a later date so makes sense you won't be able to fly Southwest when they don't fly there but not to worry I imagine those flights will return and you can always come back when flights resume at a daily schedule so be sure to check back as schedules are released every 6-8 weeks and the flights you want may return. 

hope this helps

Blake