Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

E-Cigarettes and Vape Pens Policy Nightmare

rdguss
Explorer C

The information on E-cigs and Vape pens is available online. I informed myself a few minutes ago of the policy. Why is it, that this policy is not made clear, and passengers made aware, before Southwest takes the checked luggage, inspects it, finds your merchandise, and discards it before informing you that they are doing so? These are expensive pieces of equipment. One would think that if you cannot USE it inside of the plane, that one shouldn't (and would not be allowed to) TAKE IT ON THE PLANE! If we are not made privy to this rule of leaving the e-cigarette in your carry-on luggage BEFORE checking bags....we have unknowingly thrown $30-$200 AWAY. AND WE DO NOT KNOW IT UNTIL WE HAVE GOTTEN HOME. This happened to me tonight. Very disappointed in this situation. If I can be paged over the intercom because my items have been lost, then someone should be able to contact me when they dispose of expensive pieces of personal property. Thank you for making a wonderful trip end terribly. I will be sharing this story on every social platform I have so that others know to beware of this issue, and NOT feel as if they have been robbed at the end of their vacation. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: E-Cigarettes and Vape Pens Policy Nightmare

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

If an item was removed from your checked baggage, you should contact TSA, not Southwest. Southwest does not screen or open checked bags, that's TSA's responsibility 

Here's TSA's policy 

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/electronic-cigarettes-and-vaping-d...

Lastminute
Explorer C
Solution

This information is readily available through the TSA. I recommend familiarizing yourself with their policies before each flight. That is good practice for all travelers. It is particularly important for an inexperienced traveler like yourself to review TSA travel information ahead of time. It wouldn’t hurt to skim fine print before acknowledging it every once in a while too. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@rdgusswrote:

One would think that if you cannot USE it inside of the plane, that one shouldn't (and would not be allowed to) TAKE IT ON THE PLANE! If we are not made privy to this rule of leaving the e-cigarette in your carry-on luggage BEFORE checking bags....we have unknowingly thrown $30-$200 AWAY. AND WE DO NOT KNOW IT UNTIL WE HAVE GOTTEN HOME. 

It's pretty common for batteries, I'm not familiar with e-cig but that will be the motivation so that if they did overheat, something can be done about it in the cabin but not in the hold.

I'm pretty sure there is a splash screen when you check luggage at a kiosk or at the gate that pops up.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rdgusswrote:

The information on E-cigs and Vape pens is available online. I informed myself a few minutes ago of the policy. Why is it, that this policy is not made clear, and passengers made aware, before Southwest takes the checked luggage, inspects it, finds your merchandise, and discards it before informing you that they are doing so? 

Unfortunately I just saw this article about a flight on "the other guys" where they didn't catch it at screening and nearly had an incident:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/this-delta-flight-scare-is-a-reminder-why-you-should-never-...

Anyway - sorry about your experience, but word is getting out about these items but it isn't 100% yet for sure, and the screening doesn't seem to catch it all of the time either which makes it more important to spread the information not to check these batteries.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.