Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Travel Policies

Welcome to the General Travel Policy Board.
Share knowledge about Southwest’s travel
policies and learn from others.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Extending Expiration Date for Unused Travel Funds

Tourist

On January 11th I purchased airline tickets for myself and my young child for travel in April, spending $637.40 per ticket. Due to unforseen family circumstances we had to cancel our trip. I know the funds expire a year from the date of purchase, but I am not planning to take another trip with my daughter this year. I was hoping to be able to use it for a trip the same time next year. I researched my options to see if there was a way to extend the expiration date of unused travel funds. I found a few posts on online forums re: this issue and I also spoke to a SWA service representative, but was finding different answers, so I thought I would ask here. According to SWA service rep, she said I would have to wait for the funds to expire before I could contact SWA Customer Relations Funds Dept on extending the expiration. That is the opposite of what I read in other online forums. I'm afraid if I wait until they expire I could take the change of losing $1300. Please advise. Thanks!

1 REPLY

Re: Extending Expiration Date for Unused Travel Funds

Weekender

Southwest never extends the expiration date of travel funds. Your best bet is to wait until they expire and then call Customer Relations and ask for them to be reissued as a LUV Voucher. The fee for this is $100, which will be deducted from the funds balance. You have 6 months from expiration in which to make the request, and the voucher will be valid for use by anyone (not just the original passenger) for 6 months from the date of issue. These requests are granted on a case-by-case basis. Keep in mind that this unofficial policy is subject to change at any time, including the amount of the fee. Good luck!