Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Fare pricing patterns, no WANNA GET AWAY over Thanksgiving week

Chenj78
Explorer C

Hello all - My family of four is planning to travel to Cancun over Thanksgiving week this November.  We've been eagerly waiting for Southwest to open November dates for booking so we can reserve tickets for San Jose, CA (SJC) to Cancun, Mexico (CUN) departing November 18, 2017 and returning November 24, 2017.  However, when the dates were made available last month, we were disappointed to find no availability at all for the WANNA GET AWAY fares.  We have been checking several times a week, but to my knowledge, ANYTIME and BUSINESS SELECT fares have been the only options made available since the dates were opened for booking.  Unfortunately, at over $1K per person x 4, I will have to cancel my hotel reservations as the trip as a whole will be far to costly.  Does anyone know from a pricing and yield standpoint if Southwest typically starts high before lowering rates and finally ending high?  When the dates became available in May, it was still 6-months prior, so perhaps I just need to wait to get closer to my travel dates?  Any feedback greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Fare pricing patterns, no WANNA GET AWAY over Thanksgiving week

jacelewis
Explorer C

I have a son that attends Stanford University in Palo Alto, CA. I will book his holiday flights from either San Fran or San Jose to Dallas typically as soon as Southwest opens the dates. There have always been Wanna Get Away fares available, but they are much higher. It has been my experience the fairs are the cheapest approx. 60 to 45 days out. If you book at a higher price, you can rebook online at the lower price and each person will have a credit for the savings. The credit is good for one year from the original booking date. The credit can only be used by the person whose name was on the otiginal ticket... not transferable.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

Good info.  Note that the new reservation system sometimes allows a rebook on the same flight for the lower price and sometimes not.  One can call the 800 number and get it changed.

farrell19
Explorer C

I am having the same issue. Flights for November to Cancun just opened up today and no wanna get away fares. Was expecting around $500 each, since that is what they are currently for in October, but these are $900. Just wondering if you were successful in finding a lower fare closer to your trip? Thanks

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Every airline prices seats for what it thinks they will sell for -- including Southwest. Frequently I see

Southwest price seats high  when a schedule is released and then makes lower priced alternatives available when it becomes obvious that seats won't sell at that price.

Will that happen in your case? I dunno. 

My rule of thumb is to never buy a seat when a schedule opens - unless the price is already low.

You have three options:

1) Buy a Southwest anytime seat now, and if a lower priced seat becomes available, cancel and get a refund and then buy the lower priced seat.

2) Wait to see what happens

3) If a competitior offers a seat for a price you want to pay, buy it..

Southwest normally offers two systemwide fare sales a year -- one in June and one a month later. Both cover the last third of the year (not the holidays though). If you are not travelling during Thanksgiving, tht would normally offer the lowest fare you'll see this fall. No one can predict whether or not the airline will continue that pattern.

Bill91505
Explorer C

I am also having the same problem finding a flight to Cancun  Oct. 18 - 25.  It is funny that nobody officially have responded from Southwest about what is going on with the "Wana Get away fares".

bec102896
Aviator A

@Bill91505 wrote:

I am also having the same problem finding a flight to Cancun  Oct. 18 - 25.  It is funny that nobody officially have responded from Southwest about what is going on with the "Wana Get away fares".

Wanna get away seats and fares are limited. Keep checking back as seats could open up at any time. 

You can also check out the low fare calendar to see if any other dates/prices would work for you. Sometimes being flexible with your travel dates if your able to can save you a lot of money. 

- Blake