Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Fishing poles

Jayderwin1
Explorer C

Can I bring a blank fishing rod as a carry on?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Fishing poles

franktravel
Aviator B

From TSA website:   http://bit.ly/1JBCxwP

From SWA website:

Fishing tackle box and fishing rod, so long as the rod is encased in a cylindrical fishing rod container suitable to Carrier for withstanding normal Checked Baggage handling without sustaining damage to the rod. Fishing rod containers may measure up to three inches in diameter and 91 inches in length.

Jayderwin1
Explorer C

Thanks for that info but I'm specifically talking about carrying a rod on the plane I've done it with other airlines was curious about southwest 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @Jayderwin1,

Good news for you! We do allow fishing poles as a carry on item, as outlined in our Contract of Carriage. 

"Oversized articles of reasonable carryon size that protrude from only one side of the sizing box or chart and, because of their fragile nature, would be at greater than normal risk of damage if carried in the cargo hold (e.g., blueprints, map tubes, fishing poles, artwork, media cameras/video equipment) are considered personal type items and may be carried in the passenger cabin if remaining onboard space permits and the item fits in an overhead bin without depriving other Passengers of sufficient overhead bin space."

To make sure that there is sufficient room in the overhead bin, I would suggest checking in right at the 24 hour mark to ensure an early boarding position, or purchasing Early Bird or Upgraded Boarding. It also won't hurt to have a conversation with the Customer Service Agent working your flight to let them know about your need for space. 

Happy Travels!

etang
Explorer C

Hi Lindsey,

I have the same question regarding fishing rod as a carry-on item.  I am planning to travel with a 2 section fishing rod. (when the rod is separated, it's 43 inches long)  I read your answer here, but since I couldn't find this info from the "official" baggage policy, I would like to know if this is still valid right now on 2019.  I have contacted an agent on the phone, and also submited an online web form for this specific question, and I couldn't get a confirmation for bringing a fishing rod as a carry-on item.

So if you (or any other agent) can confirm about the carry on exception for fishing rod, that will be wonderful.

Thank you so much,

Eric

SWDigits
Aviator A

Hi Eric,

I am another customer too but we all have access to the Contract of Carriage quoted by Lindsey:

[*Edit to add the link for the Contract of Carriage, found on the T&C page originally referenced:

https://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs/corporate-commitments/contract-of-carriage.pdf]

https://www.southwest.com/html/about-southwest/terms-and-conditions/index.html

The wording looks similar to me but you can reference page 23 to be sure.

Customer | Home airport DCA

etang
Explorer C

Thank you so much for the information.  You are correct, the verbage on page 23 matches to the answer I was looking at from here.  I didn't realize that we have access to the contract of carriage.  So that is indeed very helpful.

Thanks again, and I hope others can benefit from this as much as I am.

Eric