Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight Cancellation Due to Airport Closure

ecgsb
Explorer C

After the recent events in Ft. Lauderdale, I have a question.  Which airlines does Southwest contract with in the event that your flight is cancelled and there is not one available to put you on.  I had a friend who had her husband and 6 children that got stranded in Ft. Lauderdale last week due to the airline she flew with not having enough airlines to pull from. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Flight Cancellation Due to Airport Closure

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @ecgsb,

Currently, we do not code-share with other airlines. That said, operational disruptions like the one in Ft. Lauderdale are handled on a case-by-case basis, with the Safety of our Customer and Employees as a top priority. 

Oftentimes in these situations, we implement flexible accommodations (allowing Customers to change their scheduled flight date/time at no charge) and work with Customers on an individual level to help determine what the next move might be, whether that's rescheduling, or canceling and offering a refund. 

Re: Flight Cancellation Due to SWA maintainance labor issues

rrayy01
Explorer C

I & several of my friends have also expierienced multiple late cancellations by SWA since January 2019. I've been a loyal rr member, stock holder & credit card customer for years. SWA is no longer a customer based, reliable airline. Therefore I will no longer fly SWA or use their credit card until they resolve their labor issues & become reliable, if that ever happens. I've also sold all my SWA stock since this last weekend fiasco with @ cancellations & a delay involving a disembark for a maintainance issue again. 

Re: Flight Cancellation Due to SWA maintainance labor issues

dfwskier
Aviator A

@rrayy01 wrote:

I & several of my friends have also expierienced multiple late cancellations by SWA since January 2019. I've been a loyal rr member, stock holder & credit card customer for years. SWA is no longer a customer based, reliable airline. Therefore I will no longer fly SWA or use their credit card until they resolve their labor issues & become reliable, if that ever happens. I've also sold all my SWA stock since this last weekend fiasco with @ cancellations & a delay involving a disembark for a maintainance issue again. 

Sorry to hear of your disappointent.

I hope you have luck wth whatever airline you choose to fly.

The unfortunate reality is that every airline has maintenance and weather  delays and cancellations.

Oh, and the contract issue involving the mechanics was solved about the time the MAXs were grounded. Mechanics have had a contract since then.