Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight Cancellation

Senglish5
Explorer C

I purchased tickets for my mom and sister to visit me for an upcoming surgery. My sister can not come now. If I cancel her ticket will the money be refunded back to my credit card? Or will my account be credited?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Flight Cancellation

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Assuming you bought a WGA fare more than 24 hours ago, when you cancel, the funds will be held for use by your sister only for one year from the original date of purchase (all travel must be completed by then).

davidr
Explorer C

I have a WGA round trip that I purchased last month.  I want to cancel.  I understand that I have one year to use it for another trip...does the trip have to be to the same location, or can I use it for any other trip, and pay the difference if it ends up being more expensive than the original trip that I canceled?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

When you cancel, your funds will be held under the confirmation number of the cancelled flight. You can then use those funds towards another flight to any destination, but only for the original passenger. All travel must be completed (not just booked) within one year of the original purchase date (not travel date).

If the funds are more than the new flight cost, you'll still have some left over under that confirmation number. If they're less than the new flight cost you'll need to pay the difference.

When you apply those funds to a new flight, be aware that the new itinerary will take on the expiration date of the funds, including any new money if you have pay the difference. If you need to cancel the new flight you won't have a full year anymore, just until the expiration date of the travel funds.

davidr
Explorer C

Thank you very much...most helpful.

Debbiedean
Explorer C

It always amazes me that Southwest never has a back up plan and their customer service agents are oblivious to what is taking place regarding the flights. My son and I had a flight from Portland to Phoenix with our final destination being Tampa, FL. We weren’t notified until we were already in flight. 

I always find it interesting that OTHER AIRLINES can fly into Tampa, but Southwest can’t. We were given no support, nothing for compensation and when you ask about it they would look at you like you had 3 heads. We were stuck in an airport for 7 hours and their attitude was so non-chalant and uncaring.

My friends have all switched to other airlines for their “ frequent flying” awards and I think I’m headed the same direction. EXTREMELY DISSAPPOINTED in Southwest and their customer service. 

bec102896
Aviator A

@Debbiedean

Sorry your disappointed 

i would recommend you reach out to southwest on Twitter in a DM or call customer relations at 855-234-4654 so they can look in to your flight and see what occurred and look at any possible compensation that could be offered. 

hope your future travel goes smoothly!

Blake  

Coneheado
Explorer C

I realize that when I cancel a plane reservation that the current policy is that the ticket goes into flight funds under the ticket owner’s name.  However, I bought three tickets for three friends on MY credit card as a favor.  I have to cancel the trip (Indianapolis 500 has been changed - who would have ever thought that would happen?), but I need the money to be put back on MY credit card and NOT put in flight funds for my friends.  Is there an exception to this rule during this Coronavirus pandemic?  

Please help!!!!  This is a situation that I never thought I would be in and I need the refund to go back to the credit card used on the purchase.  Please tell me that during this troubled time that this is possible.  

Coneheado
Explorer C

Isn’t there an exception to this rule right now?  I have the same problem, ie. I purchased four plane tickets for friends and now our event has been canceled.  I really need the funds back on my credit card OR the funds put back into MY flight funds (not my friend’s flight funds).

Can’t you help us with this?  It is a situation we never saw coming.