Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight Itinerary

gbfinancial
Explorer C

No where on the itineray I was given when I booked a flight did it say that my direct flight from Indianapolis to Dallas was going through Chicago.  When a flight says non-stop then the flight should be non-stop between the two cities intended.  I have been frustrated with Southwest from the early days and this tops the cake.  I never fly to or through Chicago and now I am forced through Southwest's non-stop policies. Ridiculous!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Flight Itinerary

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Sounds like you booked a 1 stop no plane change. The airline calls this a direct flight which is a flight with a stop(s) but you stay on the plane (not a non stop flight). It does show this at booking on the app and on the website. If you booked by phone and the representative told you it was non stop I apologize that you were misinformed. 

If you would like to share your feedback with Southwest directly I recommend rachung out though one of these options: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

Hopefully your flight goes smoothly!

Blake

dfwskier
Aviator A

Looks to me that there are two weekday nonstop flights per day between Indy and Dallas.

You do know that you can change to either of those without paying a "change" fee?

If there's a fare difference between what you've already paid and the new fare, you'll either have to pay more or receive a credit for use on a future flight.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@gbfinancial I'm curious if the routing changed since you booked?  Sometimes the schedule changes but you should have received a notifiation from Southwest.  @bec102896 and @dfwskier both give good advice about how to proceed (most of us in the forums are customers too).

---

For awareness for others, when you are on the flight booking page you can filter for nonstop flights by clicking the check box at the top of the page:

Non-Stop Option.jpg

---

A direct flight will show only one flight number but will show the city where the plane stops (but without the two planes icon):

Direct No Change.jpg

---

Connecting flights will two two flight numbers, the city where you change planes, and the two planes icon:

Connection with Change.jpg

---

Customer | Home airport DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Angie12 wrote:

Non stop flights are sometimes more boring and more tireness thing if the travel is long but in the other case if the travel is not so long then it should be non stop flight and for best cheap flights you can find here on the website by finding great cheap flights sites.

FYI Southwest does not sell flights on these third-party webpages.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@gbfinancial wrote:

No where on the itineray I was given when I booked a flight did it say that my direct flight from Indianapolis to Dallas was going through Chicago.  When a flight says non-stop....

I think @bec102896 nailed it referring to direct vs non-stop.

The only other clarification may be that sometimes the schedule does change after booking and if that's the case you have one opportunity to call and reschedule to a non-stop flight if any suit your schedule. Southwest will have tried to match your timing as best they could including direct or connecting flights. 

It sounds like the issue may be direct vs non-stop though - check your booking confirmation and see if it is the same flight number as shown today.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.