Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight attendant spilled drink on my Macbook laptop's keyboard.

scrapperluv
Explorer C

I'm very concerned here. A few days ago a flight attendant spilled about half a cup of Dr. Pepper on my keyboard while he was reaching over me to hand it to another passenger. I asked him to file an incident report or give me some kind of documentation that this occurred. He said they don't do that on the flight and I'd have to go to baggage claim when we landed.

I was not happy about leaving that flight without documentation, but there was nothing I could do. I went to baggage claim and they gave me the same story, there was no claim I could file with them right on the spot...they gave me a number to call customer relations.

I called customer relations and they told me to send a message through the customer service link on the site. I've done that, now I'm waiting to find out what they'll do. The laptop is 14 months old and is malfunctioning now. 

Does anyone know what typically happens in this case? I will speak with an attorney if they won't cover the damage, but I'd prefer to not go that route. I have two witnesses who were traveling with me and seated next to me. I'm really hoping they don't tell me I have no proof and blow me off. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Flight attendant spilled drink on my Macbook laptop's keyboard.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

Hey there,

Apologies for the trouble! The best recommendation I have now is to wait and see what the customer service team has to say. It shouldn't be too long before they reply. If you got a case number in your email, feel free to DM @SouthwestAir on Twitter with that number, and see if they've got any updates.

Feel free to keep us posted here,

Zev 

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I did a quick Google search to see if this comes up often...oh boy. Hopefully it goes smoother than this claim for the other guys!

https://www.elliott.org/help-yourself/50188/

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@DancingDavidE What a joke. Thanks for sharing.

#ualistheworstever 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

Nope, swaistheworstever!Smiley LOL

bgubs14
Frequent Flyer C

Yikes! This story is wild. Also makes me rethink aisle seats! 

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

I am sorry to hear about the incident. If I were you, I had better pay attention to the attendant passing my favorite drink or the passengers. You should speak to attorney. 

There is a good chance and a possibility that the hard drive survive, not the HP laptop. 

Hopefully, they will solve your case.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DfDrPepper_23 wrote:

I am sorry to hear about the incident. If I were you, I had better pay attention to the attendant passing my favorite drink or the passengers. You should speak to attorney. 

There is a good chance and a possibility that the hard drive survive, not the HP laptop. 

Hopefully, they will solve your case.

Agreed that the airline (any airline in this scenario) may be liable, and if liable may pay - I try to avoid the chance of an accident, if sitting in the center or aisle I proactively will try to grab any beverage cups being passed to the window and route them around my device(s).

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

DancingDavidE,

My comments are for scrapperluv. Thank you Smiley TongueSmiley LOL

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DfDrPepper_23 wrote:

DancingDavidE,

My comments are for scrapperluv. Thank you Smiley TongueSmiley LOL

You're welcome!

Smiley LOL

Mine too, just adding on some additional thoughts. I suppose I didn't need to quote your post to do that but it is my habit, sorry for the "@":!