Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight booked with travel funds

swpauly
Explorer C

Hi,

I have some travel funds expiring on June 28, 2019. I am planning on traveling on June 26, 2019. I have seen the policy where travel must be completed by the expiration date. This wont be possible as I will be travelling for a week therefore I will be booking a one way flight. This however will leave me with a travel fund balance after booking the one way flight. Is it possible to book another flight with the left over funds?

In short, using my travel funds for two different flights the June 26 and an April 2019 booking?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Flight booked with travel funds

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@swpauly wrote:

Hi,

I have some travel funds expiring on June 28, 2019. I am planning on traveling on June 26, 2019. I have seen the policy where travel must be completed by the expiration date. This wont be possible as I will be travelling for a week therefore I will be booking a one way flight. This however will leave me with a travel fund balance after booking the one way flight. Is it possible to book another flight with the left over funds?

In short, using my travel funds for two different flights the June 26 and an April 2019 booking?

Hello, I suspect there's a typo in your post. Did you mean to say April 2020?

Anyway the rule is that travel using travel funds must be COMPLETED by no later than one year from the date the original ticket was purchased.

So, using your travel funds   for two different flights the June 26 and an April 2019 booking would be OK (as long as you don't have a June return after June 28). 

swpauly
Explorer C

Hi, no I meant April 2019. Just another flight prior to the expiration date. I do not want to lose any money to southwest. I did not realize the trip needs to be COMPLETED before the expiration.

Thanks for answering!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@swpauly wrote:

Hi,

Hello, I suspect there's a typo in your post. Did you mean to say April 2020?

Anyway the rule is that travel using travel funds must be COMPLETED by no later than one year from the date the original ticket was purchased.

So, using your travel funds   for two different flights the June 26 and an April 2019 booking would be OK (as long as you don't have a June return after June 28). 

I think the question was can the travel funds be used multiple flights, one leg in April 2019 and one leg in June 2019 (before the 28th) - answer is "yes" the approach makes sense in order to use up the funds, which couldn't be used for a July 2019 return leg. And it isn't necessary to use travel funds on one reservation, no reason to hold them for the June/July trip.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.