Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight cancelled - I see an option NOT being offered to me!

bethp
Explorer C

I woke to "your flight is cancelled," and I am on hold (92 min wait). I got onto the rebooking tool, but the three flights it shows have no seats. Just the MDW to SAT leg of my flight is cancelled. When I look at booking a new flight, I see seats on a few other MDW-SAT flights that are not being offered to me in the rebooking tool! Should I buy them now and expect that cust svc can loop them into the booking process and refund my money? If I wait to talk to someone, the seats may be gone. Help!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Flight cancelled - I see an option NOT being offered to me!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bethp wrote:

I woke to "your flight is cancelled," and I am on hold (92 min wait). I got onto the rebooking tool, but the three flights it shows have no seats. Just the MDW to SAT leg of my flight is cancelled. When I look at booking a new flight, I see seats on a few other MDW-SAT flights that are not being offered to me in the rebooking tool! Should I buy them now and expect that cust svc can loop them into the booking process and refund my money? If I wait to talk to someone, the seats may be gone. Help!

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble. Between hundreds of cancellations in Denver (and maybe other places by now) and the MAX 8 groundings there are likely tens of thousands of people trying to rebook. It's simply overwhelmed the system.

I don't have an answer to your specific question, but I do have a suggestion.

Here's what I would do:

1) Send the airline an e-mail. To do so click on contact us at the bottom of htis page. Then pick e-mail from the top left of the ensuing page.

2) Book the available flight. If you cancel within 24 hours you can get a cash refund. If after 24 hours, you get travel funds, and due to the situation, you can lobby for a refund.

3) When the airline gets back to you, and it eventually will, you'll have the ability to cancel your newly bought fare if the airlne is able to accomodate to your satisfaction with your original fare.

Good luck.

Re: Flight cancelled - I see an option NOT being offered to me!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@bethp wrote:

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble. Between hundreds of cancellations in Denver (and maybe other places by now) and the MAX 8 groundings there are likely tens of thousands of people trying to rebook. It's simply overwhelmed the system.

I don't have an answer to your specific question, but I do have a suggestion.

Here's what I would do:

1) Send the airline an e-mail. To do so click on contact us at the bottom of htis page. Then pick e-mail from the top left of the ensuing page.

2) Book the available flight. If you cancel within 24 hours you can get a cash refund. If after 24 hours, you get travel funds, and due to the situation, you can lobby for a refund.

3) When the airline gets back to you, and it eventually will, you'll have the ability to cancel your newly bought fare if the airlne is able to accomodate to your satisfaction with your original fare.

Good luck.

I think great advice to lock it in and sort it out later. If you are a Southwest regular flyer, then you'll be able to use travel funds if you end up with them. 

One caveat - you may not be able to cancel your previous connecting flights to end up in MDW to take the new flight without calling since you'd be changing the ticket to a new destination...what you are trying to do is beyond the simple reaccomodation tool.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.