Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight credits from changed flights

parkbr
Explorer C

Hi,

We have purchased flights in August (flying out in December) and there are 3 of us in the family.

In November, when we changed our flights, we ended up with $50 credit / person. 

I wonder if we can use $50 credit (total of $150) towards hotel bookings or does it have to be the flights? 

As far as I understand, it's only valid for the person traveled (i.e. not transferrable) and the trip must happen before the purchase date. Is that still true? 

If so, does the purchase date included? or not? 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Flight credits from changed flights

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Travel funds are only good towards a new flight (plus taxes, etc.), but nothing else. Yes, only valid for the original passenger(s), and yes all travel must happen prior to one year from the original date of purchase. Also, any new flights you use that credit towards will also expire at the same time, so be careful. Hope this helps!

parkbr
Explorer C

Thanks chgoflyer. 

Do you think I can book 2 one-way tickets instead of round-trip, so if anything to happen and I cancel the trip, I just lose 1 ticket (due to expiry date) and the other one still has different (longer, for sure.) expiry date ? 

franktravel
Aviator B

If your one-way ticket is more than $50.00 the credit will be used for that one way.... You can't split it...

parkbr
Explorer C

So if one way going is like $110, coming back is $100, and I used $50 for $110 but I have to purchase both tickets at $160 + $50 credit?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @parkbr,

If a ticket was $110 and you applied a $50 credit, you would just pay the difference of $60. Then, you can purchase the return trip for $100. Or, you can book the whole thing together as a round trip (it will not cost you any more/less to book one way vs. round trip on Southwest Airlines).

renonatalie
Explorer C

Where can we see our flight credits?  Thank you.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, unlike some other carriers, Southwest doesn't keep them in a "travel bank" that can be easily accessed. In order to access any travel funds, you need to know the associated confirmation number. You can use it to view the balance(s) here:

https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html