Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight from Las Vegas to Tucson w/a stop in San Diego

JKINSEY435
Explorer C

I am looking at booking airfare for an upcoming trip in June for my Mom and I.  She is coming from and returning to Tucson.  I am coming from and returning to Buffalo.  She is disabled so we are attempting to book flights from Vegas around the same departure time so I can help her at the airport.  I found a flight departing Vegas at 5:10pm with 1 stop in San Diego and no plane change.  It doesn' say when it arrives in San Diego, how long the layover is or when it departs San Diego but it arrives in Tucson at 8:05pm.  Does anyone here have any experience with this flight and, if so, how long was the layover and did they let you exit the plane?  Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Flight from Las Vegas to Tucson w/a stop in San Diego

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I can't speak to that specific flight, but many of the "1-stop, no plane change" layovers are fairly brief.

You could look up the arrival LAS-SAN and the depature SAN-TUS and see what the difference is - if 30 minutes to 45 minutes I'd plan on staying onboard.

For longer layovers or when delays hit the FA seem to allow people to deplane and reboard using a driver's license or other ID. Most of these are starting to board as soon as the SAN passengers are deplaned though, in which case the FA will most likely not want you get off the plane.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

A little time on my hands so I found the specific flight times. The 510 departure arrives in San Diego at 615 and departs for Tucson at 650. Crew would probably let you deplane if you insisted, but you'd only have time for a quick bathroom run and then you'd board last when you return to the gate as you'd miss the boarding process.  The advantage of staying on the plane is being able to move seats and pick a preferred spot such as an exit row or front row. You didn't specify why you wanted to deplane so I can't offer advice about should or shouldn't. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I've been through SAN just a couple of times, it is a nice little compact area for Southwest although super busy, the lines for food might be longer than you could bear, especially at the 6-7 p.m. hour.

Fun fact: SAN is the busiest single-runway commercial airport in the USA.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Very small waiting area in SAN, not many free seats when I was there a few weeks ago. I stood at the counter to eat a fairly decent burger and fries from The Counter which is in the middle of circular gate area. My attempt to get doughnuts in the other terminal didn't go as planned, got all the way over there, through security, only to find out they were sold out. The other terminal is really nice compared to Southwest's space.