Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flights are full sorry

Shellbell_76377
Explorer B

I am a military spouse that was trying to go home for my 20th class reunion. I booked my flight and hotel in advance so I knew I had a room. The hotel was refundable up to 24 hours before my reservation. We get to the airport and get through security before they cancelled our flight because of weather. Ok no big deal that's why we got to the airport at 6am. We can catch another flight. Well no more flights for the day because they were full. Well can you get us to another airport? Nope they are full also but not due to weather. So we got a refund for our flight. I called customer relations to see about getting a voucher or credit since we missed a big event and out the cost of the hotel since it was so short notice. They were no help at all. They said out of their control. Well I did my part and now since they didn't have any room on their other flights I am out a couple hundred dollars not too mention other expenses. I really am disturbed they won't try and make it right for me. I will never have another 20 year class reunion. Anyone have this experience? I wish they would have tried harder to keep me as a customer. I can't trust this airline anymore. I understand things happen but make it right with your customers instead of saying sorry. Sorry doesn't help anything. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Flights are full sorry

jksobonya
Aviator A

First - I am sorry that you missed your 20th class reunion due to the weather. Most unfortunate!

"So we got a refund for our flight."

So your flight was cancelled, you got a full refund of your flight -- and you want more? They made it right by giving you a refund instead of something like a travel credit. They aren't obligated to give you more than that - technically, if I'm not mistaken, airlines (not just Southwest) aren't -obligated- to give you -anything- when flights are cancelled, but they often do, and in this case, they did. I am not sure what else you were expecting. 

--Jessica

Shellbell_76377
Explorer B

Actually it was credit not a refund. I would have been very happy with a different flight to get there. They couldn't even help me with that. Part of customer service is trying to keep a customer and they didn't seem interested. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

When flights are cancelled due to weather, there's only so many other flights available that are going out - if any - and if they are all full ... that's a recipe for a lose-lose situation, unfortunately. At least you got your flight credited back to you. 

--Jessica

Shellbell_76377
Explorer B

Do you work for Southwest? It kind of seems like it. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

Considering I am a "NEW ARRIVAL" to these forums (barely been here a week) ... no 🙂 But I am very loyal to Southwest and have flown with them for over a decade. It's funny how positivity always seems to lead to "oh you must work for them". I literally get told the same thing when I talk about Criss Angel (magician) in other forums. "Oh you must work for him" because I am constantly supporting him and saying nice things. LOL. It's funny 😄 

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A

To be clear: If Southwest cancelled your flight for any reason you are due a full refund back in the original form of payment. Not just a credit. You can still call and have them process that now.

In cases of weather cancellations, most carriers do not compensate. They will try to get you on another flight, but as you've learned, with high load factors, that's sometimes not possible.

Did they suggest you try standby for other flights that day? Sometimes Thai is successful, but you run the risk of waiting at the airport all day and still not making it to your destination.

Sorry about your experience.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@Shellbell_76377  I agree with you, that person is believed to be a employee of swa. I have seen the name repeatedly.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Shellbell_76377 Southwest employees should have a "Southwest" icon next to their name, see @NicoleAshley for example.

I can't speak for others but I am a frequent poster so you may see my name repeatedly too.  I am definitely not employed by Southwest, I'm here for a host of reasons, to include to try to help others.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Shellbell_76377 wrote:

Actually it was credit not a refund. I would have been very happy with a different flight to get there. They couldn't even help me with that. Part of customer service is trying to keep a customer and they didn't seem interested. 

I understand you are frustrated. You have a right to be frustrated. But what was the airline to do? Flights were sold out. Apparently flights to nearby airports were also sold out. So how was the airline supposed to get you where you wanted to be?

Two additional points:

1) If your flight was cancelled, you are entitle to a refund.

, but you have to ask for it by calling customer relations

2)  You could ask customer relations for a voucher for your trouble

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

As a point of reference, all airlines handle "acts of god" in the same way. They do not accept financial responsibility for them.