Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Travel Policies

Welcome to the General Travel Policy Board.
Share knowledge about Southwest’s travel
policies and learn from others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Food service on board

texasbbqribs
New Arrival

Soft drinks, water, and alcoholic drinks and peanuts or pretzels are the norm. If you're on a really short flight, the food may not be available. One thing I love about Southwest is they start taking orders before the flight starts sometimes when they know time is limited. Compare that to United or American who may only provide water on a short flight.

But, I think 9/11 really ushered in a wave of change where there are usually a lot of options in the terminal so you can bring on whatever you want.

JohnandDawn
New Arrival

Soda and juice are complimentary. Alcohol can be purchased for $5 (credit card only) or with a valid drink coupon. Peanuts or pretzels for shorter flights or cookies/crackers on longer flights are complimentary as well. 

pathfinder2011
New Arrival

I love Southwest food service. This is the only airline except for Jet Blue that allows you to get as many snacks as you like and will return to verify if you would like more.

Flyingfool1
New Arrival

I was given a choice of peanuts cookies, pretend or crackers.  Also, I think you can buy a snack box if the flight is longer than 2hrs.  I think.  I have no problems with free soda coffe tea or water or juice.  If I want something different to eat I bring it with me.  With the cheaper prices or using reward credits, it's worth the INconvience ,   I have been on long flights before that have free meals or buy a meal and they really aren't worth the extra cost of the flights. But then southwest doesn't fly everywhere around the world.  

Lindsey Employee
Employee

Love this thread!

On short haul flights, we serve complimentary peanuts and pretzels. On our longer flights, we offer complimentary snacks like cookies and crackers. 

Lindsey
Community Manager
The Southwest Airlines Community

pattik
New Arrival

Plane cookies rock! Adults appreciate them as much as kids (maybe even more!). Personally I like Fritos, please keep them in the snack offerings mix. Woman Happy

Ggirdley
New Arrival

Regarding snack on “longer” flights can you be more specific? For example, Phoenix to Seattle? We don’t want the new snacks because my wife is allergic to coconut and you just started serving coconut Belvita cookies on longer flights. You did this AFTER we made reservations. Customer service said we cannot Request they Don’t serve them like peanut allergies. 

Kckodre
New Arrival

Can I bring my own snacks on the plane? Beef jerky, crackers and cheese, fruit roll ups etc.

Highlighted

DancingDavidE
Top Contributer

@Kckodre wrote:

Can I bring my own snacks on the plane? Beef jerky, crackers and cheese, fruit roll ups etc.

Those all sound great! Sauerkraut maybe avoid in enclosed spaces.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

nanapcp
New Arrival

My spouse and I bring our own sandwiches and snacks in Ziploc bags.  We save money and in case of delays, we always have our meals!   But you cannot bring bottled or canned drinks through TSA, but the food is no problem!