Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Guitar

Sherran92
Explorer C

Can a 48 inch bass guitar be carryon luggage and fit in overhead?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Guitar

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Not sure for certain about that, but you can find details around carry on baggage here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Sherran92
Explorer C

Thank you.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

Try this one for musical instruments:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

The crux of the argument is that in the 737-800 aircraft overhead bins fit rollerbags four wide, I'm sure these are at least 12" to 14" each, so you should be fine on a newer aircraft.

Head to the back to find an empty bin for your use. If you have a C-boarding position you may get stuck without an empty bin though, so I would recommend you to try and board early if possible. You'll have to gate check if it can't be stowed.

On the 737-700's I'm not sure of the dimension, bags are three wide but might still be right about 45" if 3 by 14" = 42"...might be close. I've seen other advertised limits right at 45" as well...

Consider also that you may be able to stand it up in the back of the bin and put your other bag in to hold it on its side - but then the depth will be slightly lessened so keep an eye out that someone else doesn't come in and push their bag all the way to the back - if possible get the next person to put theirs in sideways in front of the bass.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Sherran92
Explorer C

Thank You.