Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Horrible Treatment of a Struggling Passenger

Justin_Hill
Explorer C

Southwest removed my girlfriend from her flight because she was having a panic attack and had taken her prescribed medication.  After showing the flight attendant who was questioning her the medication, she insisted on calling and getting confirmation from her doctor after 5:00 on Friday afternoon.  When they weren't able to get in touch with the office, she was not allowed back on the plane (not even to gete her cell phone from the seat back pocket) and given another flight for the following day.  When she attempted to board the flight, she was told she wasn't allowed without a doctor's note.  Why does Southwest think treating customers like this is acceptable?  Why wasn't the Captain ever involved?  Why did this flight attendant treat someone already struggling with anxiety so horribly, causing much more stress and anxiety?  Why did this flight attendant assume it was ok to call a doctor from her personal cell phone for medical information about a customer?  What medical training does a flight attendant have that allows them to make a decision like this without consulting the Captain, someone at corporate, or anyone else?  Southwest, please improve the way your staff treats struggling customers and train them how to handle someone without adding to the problem. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Horrible Treatment of a Struggling Passenger

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

If a person who has a panic attack, may pose a danger or threats to another passenger. Since they weren't in contact with the doctor, without it, they won't let your girlfriend being boarded. I was given a clearance with the doctor's order and was given a front row seat due to my blood clot. I need a enough room for my leg.

I am sorry to hear the bad experience about experience you had for your girlfriend. It is safety and security proctol that they had to protect the passengers from the threats.

Lmkel68
Adventurer C

Do you get special seating due to blood clots? I always worry about that with flying since I usually do not move around during my flights.

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

Yes, you can preboard if you need assistance boarding or have a specific seating need.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@Lmkel68

Yes, you can. Just tell the agent at the airport gate. I have never been on the front row until my blood clot happened while I was on vacation. I was supposed to be on vacation for two weeks and ends up almost a month out of work. Doctor's order. 

Before you will fly, make sure that you contact SWA for information about enough room. This allow your leg to stretch out. 

I have never flown on the front row until I had a clot and after surgery and a doctor's clearance for me to go home. They gave me a front row.

Lmkel68
Adventurer C

Thank you so much.  I don't fly often but anytime that I do, I worry about that.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@Lmkel68

You are very much welcome! 🙂