Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How much do I like Southwest Airlines.....

Yorksan
Explorer C
There is an airport 15 minutes from my house, but unfortunately Southwest does not fly out of there. I drive 1.5 hours to an airport that Southwest flies out of! I think that says it all! GREAT PEOPLE! GREAT SERVICE! Now if you would just start flying out of the airport near me....icing on the cake!!
4 REPLIES 4

Re: How much do I like Southwest Airlines.....

bec102896
Aviator A

@Yorksan 

i think its great that your so loyal to Southwest especially with an airport other airlines service much closer. 

I would recommend you send Southwest an email by clicking on the contact us link at the bottom of this page that way they can hear you would like a specific airport. 

Hope they will add the airport near you someday!

Blake  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Yorksan wrote:
There is an airport 15 minutes from my house, but unfortunately Southwest does not fly out of there. I drive 1.5 hours to an airport that Southwest flies out of! I think that says it all! GREAT PEOPLE! GREAT SERVICE! Now if you would just start flying out of the airport near me....icing on the cake!!

Which one do you want them to start using? Send some emails to let them know. It may be on their radar already - I'll take an example of FLL vs MIA, might be yours or might not - the airlines there have so much influence over construction of new facilities, American would do anything not to allow more competition for gates. So in that market Southwest is committed to FLL, they would never in the forseable future get access to as many gates at MIA without making an acquisition.

ORD  where I'm from is the same situation, even if they did want in, there aren't any gates available. But we're in good shape to use either MDW or even MKE within an hour drive from there.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Yorksan
Explorer C

My "icing on the cake" airport is Elmira-Corning.  Southwest goes to Rochester and Buffalo which are 1.5 and 2.5 hours of driving. For the service i get from Southwest it is worth the drive, but in the winter would be so nice to drive 7.5 miles down the road!!!

Southwest...."can you hear me now....."  😉 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Yorksan wrote:

My "icing on the cake" airport is Elmira-Corning.  Southwest goes to Rochester and Buffalo which are 1.5 and 2.5 hours of driving. For the service i get from Southwest it is worth the drive, but in the winter would be so nice to drive 7.5 miles down the road!!!

Southwest...."can you hear me now....."  😉 

That one looks like a challenge Smiley LOL - some of the smaller airports in Southwest's network have 1-2 million passengers a year.  PNS is one that I'm familiar with at 1.6M passengers per year, and that volume lets Southwest fly three planes a day through there making a HOU/BNA wheel with increased service during peak beach season. To support the year-round service on three daily flights it takes 100,000 passengers at PNS, and with 180,000 additional passengers on the seasonal routes.

Rochester for instance is 2.3M passengers per year. Buffalo a little higher.

Here is the data on "enplanements" and I think unfortunately Elmira will be a long-shot - your best bet would be to focus on better ways to get to Buffalo or Rochester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_New_York

Islip may be one of the lowest passenger volume airports in the Southwest network at around 800,000 passengers a year which Southwest flys about a third to a half of - even if they flew every passenger out of Elmira it wouldn't be at that level.

Who knows though, send in your request on the Contact Us link so that they know!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.