Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Innovative User Idea

UABkimes
Explorer C

I think last minute travelers are sometimes taken advantage of.  It would be innovative to create an airline or program that allowed passengers to purchase flight / air time in advance each year to be used if booked 21 days in advance OR 21 minutes in advance to departure (assuming a spot was avaialable on the plane).  To charge the same passenger triple or more due to unforseen circumstances can be harsh.  The prepaid flight time can expire at the end of each year (as designated by airline to end during off peak time instead of end of calendar year to keep everyone from flying at high peak times). 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Innovative User Idea

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I've heard of this internationally where there is some sort of punch card for traveling around the world and you can take unlimited flights as long as you keep heading in the same direction.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

MelanieShed
Explorer C

I agree there should be some type of program to make sure passengers are not taken advantage of. Flights tend to bump up prices on those last minute flyers that will almost take any seat. I have heard of this happening to others flying, and it affected their veiws on the brand. Preventing this from happening in the future is a great idea for both the passengers and airports. I understand airports have reasons for people to pay for last-minute seats and facing diemas with passenger-seat ratios, but giving fair prices is what drives consumers to use a particular brand.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Back in the day (a very long time ago) Southwest sold prepaid flight coupons, in sets of 10 (if I remember correctly) good for anywhere they flew, no advance reservation required. 

Destinations were very limited at the time, but still. Those were the days. 😉

Unfortunately, those days are long over. Carriers now make a significant portion of total profit on last minute ticket sales. This effectively subsides advance purchase fares. Knowinng that some customers will always have no choice but to travel last-minute, I don't expect carriers to change their business model anytime soon.