Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is this possible ?

Tonyo906
Explorer C

I have travel funds available to me   that expire next May.I do not have travel plans again until December of next year.

Can I use my funds book a flight to my destination using  these funds and pay the difference and then cancel my flight and use all funds again for December trip.?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Is this possible ?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Nope. You can't extend the expiration date of travel funds, they retain the same expiration date no matter how many times you use them to purchase and cancel subsequent reservations. Also, any money you add to a reservation made in part with travel funds will also have the same expiration date if you then cancel that reservation. In your case, you need to complete your travel before next May if you want to use those funds. There is a way to reinstate expired funds, but that typically requires forfeiting $100 of the value of each fund. You'll need to call Southwest after the travel funds expire to see if they will do this for you, it's done on a case by case basis.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

Re: Is this possible ?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Also, be aware that if you use multiple travel funds together on a new booking, all funds -- each travel fund as well as any new money -- take on the earliest expiring expiration date of any of the funds.