Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lost Baggage

scawna
Explorer C

I flew to Dallas from LAX on 2/21, Thursday, for a business meeting I was supposed to attend on Friday, 2/22. However, when I landed in Dallas, my checked bag never showed up. I went to the baggage claim office in Lovefield and the rep, who was reponding like a computer said to wait at my hotel and it will most likely arrive later in the evening. I told the rep I had to attend a meeting the next day and could not go in my sweat pants but she continued to type and handed me a printout of the incident receipt. I went back to my hotel and waited for my bag until 11PM but it never arrived. The next morning I called SW and was told that they were not able to locate the bag and that I should come back to the airport early that evening before getting on my return flight to LA to see if the bag was at the airport.
I never made it to my meeting because I did not have my clothes, shoes, makeup, or hair supplies  and my trip to Dallas was a total waste. This trip costed me over $1000 for my flight, hotel, and rental car and I couldn't even attend my meeting. Yesterday, someone named Hailey from Okalahoma call center called and when I told her my story she said " that was your choice not to attend your meeting." I wonder if they attend their meetings in sweats.....

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Lost Baggage

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Bummer to hear you were unable to attend your meeting. For future reference you may want to check if the credit card you used to purchase the flight offers any sort of delayed or lost baggage compensation. Some credit cards will reimburse you for replacement expenses so you might be able to buy enough to get to a meeting, but that also assumes that you have time to go shopping. In this case it might not have been any help.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@scawna 

I'm sorry to hear your bag was lost causing you to not be able to attend your meeting. 

I would recommend you reach out to customer relations at 855-234-4654 to discuss this experience or you can send an email by clicking on the contact us link at the bottom of this page. 

Did the baggage office in Dallas not allow you $50 for clothes? If so maybe you could have gotten something so you could still have attended the meeting. When by bag went on vacation (lost) I got up to $50 for necessity items (clothes) 

Hope this helps

Blake

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@scawna 

I'm sorry to hear your bag was lost causing you to not be able to attend your meeting. 

I would recommend you reach out to customer relations at 855-234-4654 to discuss this experience or you can send an email by clicking on the contact us link at the bottom of this page. 

Did the baggage office in Dallas not allow you $50 for clothes? If so maybe you could have gotten something so you could still have attended the meeting. When by bag went on vacation (lost) I got up to $50 for necessity items (clothes) 

Hope this helps

Blake

Especially with a rental car I think I would have chosen to go shopping - I don't know the nature of the meeting exactly. At least for the types of meetings I travel for it would be more important to show having lost some items than to cancel, but obviously your meeting involved the presentation of yourself to some higher degree.

We obviously don't have to tell this to you now, but when traveling for business, espeically a one-day trip, many of us will carry on to stay flexible as well as having ~0% risk of some items go missing.

Not very many bags go missing every day, I hear annecdotally on the order of less than a  percent, most of which are found right away and on the next flight...but for anything "priceless" or that you must have the next morning even a percent of risk would be too high.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Frequentflyer82
Explorer C

Why didn’t you get an outfit and a brush and some makeup for the meeting? I would not sit around and wait on my luggage for a meeting I flew all the way to. You could have gotten what you needed so it wasn’t a waste.