Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lost & Found: "Found" but it's not my item! What do I do?

ramm001
Explorer C

Hi SWA folks,

I left an iPad on the seat of a plane a couple of weeks ago (ugh!). I promptly filed a lost and found report online and got a notification early this week that my item had been found and to make arrangements for getting it shipped. Needless to say, I was ecstatic about this news! Unfortunately, I just opened the package and immediately realized it was not my iPad. Physically, it looks very similar but the serial number does not match (excruciatingly, it's only a few digits different). 

What do I do now? I have an iPad that is not mine, and I cannot use it at all. Can my report be reopened and have the lost and found team keep looking? Do I ship the wrong item back to where it came from?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Lost & Found: "Found" but it's not my item! What do I do?

ramm001
Explorer C

Update - 4/19/2018: I ended up contacting the SWA Lost & Found center (I just replied to their email they sent notifying me that they had found my iPad) and within 5 minutes, someone from the center called me back. They are going to have FedEx pick up the (wrong) iPad tomorrow and have it returned to the center. They were apologetic (the serial number was off by 3 digits!) and offered to reopen my lost item report to keep the search going.

Although I am disappointed I didn't get my lost item, I remain satisfied with the level of service and attention provided by the lost and found folks. Thank you!