Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lost iPad Mishandled

jillstaut
Explorer C

Hello -- I left my iPad in the gate area when I departed from MCO to MSY on 2/6.  I realized it as soon as I got situated into my seat, but the boarding door was closed.  I spoke with the flight attendant and he asked the pilot to call to the gate and thank god they had found it.  I had provided my name and phone number at that time.  I was asked to speak to the gate agent in NOLA when I arrived so that I could make arrangements to get it back.  When I landed, they directed me to MCO baggage Services, whom I called.  They said they wouldnt have any information until everything was processed and that I needed to complete a form and that I could call back later in the afternoon. I completed the form (1519616), initiated find my ipad (including my name and phone number)  and then called early evening when I got to my hotel.   They said they had it and that we could make arrangements for me to set up a Fedex Account and have it shipped.  I asked if they oculd just hold it as I would be back on Friday.  They said that would be fine and to just come to baggage services when I landed.  Find my Ipad showed it near the Orlando ariport for two days, then on Friday, I started getting pinged that it was in Memphis, then MS, then AL.  I freaked out.  WTF!  When I landed I went to baggage services.  They told me that it had been shipped to their lost and found center.  They shared the ID they had  in their system 963624 -- which included a not that said "may belong to X, phone number X"  -- Which was me!  So why the heck if they knew it was my ipad did they not call my before they put it on a plane to memphis.  Not to mention I already had confirmation that they would hold onto it for me.  The agent, Sandra said that there was no supervisor until Sunday and that she would email Madonna (Supervisor) and they would get back to me.  I have left multiple messages for Madonna on Sunday with no response.  I am hoping she's just working so hard trying to do the right hting and get my ipad back to me that is why she is not returning my calls unless she has good news.  So today I receive a message saying they have been unable to locate it.  I went to go back into the system and add some notes, but it says my name and ID dont match, bu they do match exactly what the email telling me they cant find it says!  I have it playing sounds and displaying a message with my information.  Who can help me with this ?!?  This is ridiculous.

I realize that there are probably a lot of ipads there, but it never should have wound up there.  This has been mishandled and I need some assistance, and there should be some level of accountability.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Lost iPad Mishandled

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@jillstaut wrote:

Hello -- I left my iPad in the gate area when I departed from MCO to MSY on 2/6.  I realized it as soon as I got situated into my seat, but the boarding door was closed.  I spoke with the flight attendant and he asked the pilot to call to the gate and thank god they had found it.  I had provided my name and phone number at that time.  I was asked to speak to the gate agent in NOLA when I arrived so that I could make arrangements to get it back.  When I landed, they directed me to MCO baggage Services, whom I called.  They said they wouldnt have any information until everything was processed and that I needed to complete a form and that I could call back later in the afternoon. I completed the form (1519616), initiated find my ipad (including my name and phone number)  and then called early evening when I got to my hotel.   They said they had it and that we could make arrangements for me to set up a Fedex Account and have it shipped.  I asked if they oculd just hold it as I would be back on Friday.  They said that would be fine and to just come to baggage services when I landed.  Find my Ipad showed it near the Orlando ariport for two days, then on Friday, I started getting pinged that it was in Memphis, then MS, then AL.  I freaked out.  WTF!  When I landed I went to baggage services.  They told me that it had been shipped to their lost and found center.  They shared the ID they had  in their system 963624 -- which included a not that said "may belong to X, phone number X"  -- Which was me!  So why the heck if they knew it was my ipad did they not call my before they put it on a plane to memphis.  Not to mention I already had confirmation that they would hold onto it for me.  The agent, Sandra said that there was no supervisor until Sunday and that she would email Madonna (Supervisor) and they would get back to me.  I have left multiple messages for Madonna on Sunday with no response.  I am hoping she's just working so hard trying to do the right hting and get my ipad back to me that is why she is not returning my calls unless she has good news.  So today I receive a message saying they have been unable to locate it.  I went to go back into the system and add some notes, but it says my name and ID dont match, bu they do match exactly what the email telling me they cant find it says!  I have it playing sounds and displaying a message with my information.  Who can help me with this ?!?  This is ridiculous.

I realize that there are probably a lot of ipads there, but it never should have wound up there.  This has been mishandled and I need some assistance, and there should be some level of accountability.

Unfortunately they can't hold the items very long at any particular site, so the breakdown in policy was when someone had told you that they would hold it until you returned - it was destinted for the Scottsboro, AL facility all along.

This isn't advertised, but maybe you can try this number that I saw on aother forum: https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/General-Travel-Policies/Lost-and-found/m-p/80547

You have to call them earlier in the day (I think before 4 EST) and leave a message that you have pinged your device with callback info, thorough description of the item, and dates that you saw it arrive.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jillstaut
Explorer C

Thanks for the phone number.  I'll try that.  I am just so angry because I could have set up a FedEx account and had it shipped to me on Wednesday.  I thought it would be easier just to pick it up when I returned home two days later.  If they had told me that was not a good idea, I would have paid to have it shipped.  There are notes in their system that it is my ipad with my contact information.  How it cannot be located is beyond me?   

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jillstaut wrote:

Thanks for the phone number.  I'll try that.  I am just so angry because I could have set up a FedEx account and had it shipped to me on Wednesday.  I thought it would be easier just to pick it up when I returned home two days later.  If they had told me that was not a good idea, I would have paid to have it shipped.  There are notes in their system that it is my ipad with my contact information.  How it cannot be located is beyond me?   

All the clues are there that this is resolvable, hang in there although it may be a day or two. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.