Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Luggage Size

christihamon92
Explorer C

I just purchased a large  suitcase where the dimensions add up to 62.6 inches. The size allowed for free luggage is 62inches. Does the $75 charge begin at 63inches or 62.1inches?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Luggage Size

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Hi @christihamon92!

Keep in mind that since this is a customer community, we cannot give you an official answer from Southwest, but here is what I think.

The policy reads "in excess of 62 inches," so if you plan to use a bag which is even slightly over the 62 inch l+w+h rule, I would be prepared to pay.

With that said, my personal opinion is that the gate agent might not even think twice and just let it go through, especially if it is under the 50lb limit.

I think this is fair to call this a gamble.  You might get lucky, but offically, Southwest should charge the fee.

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Additionally I would point out that Southwest's requirement excludes the wheels, double-check if your item included the wheels in their measurement.

Post a link to the product if you like. The idea being most "regular" luggage goes through fine and I doubt it would be measured unless it was obviously going to be difficult to handle in some way.

Watch out that with the additional size that you don't accidentally overfill it and then get dinged for overweight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

Watch out that with the additional size that you don't accidentally overfill it and then get dinged for overweight.

+1.  We have a hand-held luggage scale, best travel purchase we ever made.

Customer | Home airport DCA

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As I mentioned in a previous post, you exclude the wheels and suitcase manufacturers design suitcases to fit airline regulations and yours is right at 62". Your bag is fine.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@christihamon92 wrote:

I just purchased a large  suitcase where the dimensions add up to 62.6 inches. The size allowed for free luggage is 62inches. Does the $75 charge begin at 63inches or 62.1inches?

My guess is that you'll be fine. The official line is 62.00001 inches would be subject to the fee. The reality, IMO, is that .6 inches is a rounding error  that no one will notice..

As others have said make sure you aren;t counting the wheels in your measurement. They don't count towards the 62 inches.