Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Name Change

prncssbby295
Explorer C

I bought a ticket for someone that is unable to travel now am I able to change the ticket to another person?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Name Change

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

I am afraid not . Only the person whose name is on the original reservation can use the funds tied to the ticket.

The exception would be if you realize that your friend cannot use the ticket  and cancel the ticket within 24 hours of the time you bought it.

However, the originlly named person would be able to use the full value of the ticket for a future flight that would need to be completed within 1 year of the date the original ticket was bought.

Unlike other airlines, Southwest charges no $200 change fee for doing this.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

If you bought the anytime or business select fare you can request a refund to the credit card and rebook at the current price for the new person that is going to travel but if you bought the wanna get away fare then as @dfwskier said the ticket is non refundable and name changes are not permitted but if you cancel the flight that passenger will have a credit for a future flight within a year from the original ticket purchase.

Hope this helps

Blake  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

If you bought the anytime or business select fare you can request a refund to the credit card and rebook at the current price for the new person that is going to travel but if you bought the wanna get away fare then as @dfwskier said the ticket is non refundable and name changes are not permitted but if you cancel the flight that passenger will have a credit for a future flight within a year from the original ticket purchase.

Hope this helps

Blake  

You are correct, Blake. I was assuming a wanna get away ticket, but if it was business select or anytime, it is completely refundable at any time.