Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: New Southwest App incompatible with my device

s00znd
Explorer C

I agree with this . Most frustrating!  I loved the old app & it worked perfectly on my phone. I have a flight tomorrow so I went to the app to get my boarding pass. Got the message old app had been retired. New app is incompatible with my 3 year old Moto G phone. WTF!! So frustrating for customers.

Is there a list of which phones it is compatible with? I am not getting a new phone just for this app.

Southwest- please have your programmers make an app that is more universal.  Yes I can go to the mobile webstite, but it is much slower.

Thank you.

GloriaL
Employee
Employee

Hey @s00znd

We are so sorry for the inconvenience! The mobile website is your best bet for now. 

Retired_CPO
Explorer C

So "the best bet for now" pretty means "for now and forever"  I mean c'mon a lot of folks go out and have to get a new phone as soon as a new version comes out. You know like Samsung S-5, S-6, S-7, S-8, S-9........................................S-115, etc. My wife's kinda like that. I'm NOT. Granted my phone's a few years old however EVERY app except Southwest now, after the "upgrade" works fine. To me it seems like an "if it ain't broke why fix it" situation. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Retired_CPO wrote:

So "the best bet for now" pretty means "for now and forever"  I mean c'mon a lot of folks go out and have to get a new phone as soon as a new version comes out. You know like Samsung S-5, S-6, S-7, S-8, S-9........................................S-115, etc. My wife's kinda like that. I'm NOT. Granted my phone's a few years old however EVERY app except Southwest now, after the "upgrade" works fine. To me it seems like an "if it ain't broke why fix it" situation. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Afternoon. 

I understand and share your frustration.

It appears that Southwest redoes it's app as newer version of the OS come on line. Sometimes in order to be compatible with the newest OS, code is changed and that code makes the new version of the app incompatible with older versions of the OS. The current version of the app requires at least Android 6.0.

So the airline has to choose between app versions that are usable by the many people using newer versions of the OS, or the fewer that are using older versions of the OS. It apparently cannot do both.

You do have an option. Don't use the Southwest app. Do use one of your phone's browsers to access southwest.com.

Good luck

jimm
Explorer C

I had to reload the Southwest App on my Samsung S6 Android phone. It now tells me the app isn't compatible with the version available at Google Play. Is there another version or workaround.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jimm wrote:

I had to reload the Southwest App on my Samsung S6 Android phone. It now tells me the app isn't compatible with the version available at Google Play. Is there another version or workaround.

Sorry.  There's only one version available at the play store: 5.8.1.

If you read the other posts in this thread, you know you are not alone with your question.

I'm sorry to say that only workaround that I'm aware of is to buy a new device the uses a newer version of android.

Using Southwest's mbile site might be an alternative to the pp.

AA8RV
Explorer C

rfburke03
Explorer C

I have the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S5..

Jcpower024
Explorer C

I have an Android tablet and used to have the SW app, but received a message to update...I tried but the update wouldn't take . Says the new version isn't compatible with my Android tablet.

Is SW working to get this fixed?

I have the app on my Android phone and it works...just need it on my tablet.

Help!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jcpower024 wrote:

I have an Android tablet and used to have the SW app, but received a message to update...I tried but the update wouldn't take . Says the new version isn't compatible with my Android tablet.

Is SW working to get this fixed?

I have the app on my Android phone and it works...just need it on my tablet.

Help!

Well, your situation with your tabet is the same as it is for others using phones: newer versions of the app just dont work with older versions of the operating system. That is not likely to change. Southwest (and all commanies) make the decision to support the many more users with newer OS,

but that means people using older OS get left behind.

Your option is to access southwest.com via your tablet.