Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

No Show Policy

bboerger
Explorer C

I understand that policies need to be put in place but a zero tolerence no show policy is a little extreme.  Needing a death in the family or a note from a doctor seems a little extreme.  How about just losing your seat and making a refundable tickent non refundable.  Sometime "things" happen and mistakes are made.

Called in to a request and the Luv Airline was like dealing with American or Delta.  The customer service I have grown to know and the reason I fly is drastically lacking with this policy.

Locator: QZPZT6

10 REPLIES 10

Re: No Show Policy

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The direction requiring strict enforcement of the no-show policy was the first time discretion was taken away from individual agents and they were tasked with applying policy verbatim. This was reportedly handed down from upper management, possibly GK himself.

It likely won't be the last one, as Southwest moves towards the "industry standard" in areas where their customer-friendly policies used to be a point of differentiation.

Luckily, it's easy to keep yourself from being in this situation, since Southwest allows cancellation up to 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@bboerger If I'm reading your post correctly, you're stating you had a refundable ticket. If you really did have a refundable Business Select or Anytime fare ticket then the amount you paid is automatically transferred into travel funds in a no show situation.

All remaining unused Business Select and Anytime funds will be converted to reusable travel funds for the originally ticketed Passenger only.

Can you clarify what fare type you purchased?

Have you verified there are no travel funds associated with your confirmation number?

https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html

maggiemay831
Explorer C

Hi there, to piggyback on the No Show policy: 

I often fly Southwest for work travel and sometimes book "placeholders". I am good about canceling/rescheduling, but if ever I missed one and was a "No Show", I was wondering how the travel funds would be credited (if I had booked an Anytime or Business ticket). Would the expiration of the travel funds be six months from the day of the canceled flight, or six months from the booking date? Thank you for your time.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

One year from booking date.

You would need to retrieve the funds with your confirmation number and name when you wanted to re-use them.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

maggiemay831
Explorer C

Thank you!

houstonflier
Explorer C

I completely agree. I lost my funds given that I did cancel but did not register on the system on their end. Futhermore, an agent told me after the fact that it was no problem and their system have glithces. However, there was no good will for customer service for my 2 lost tickets. I'm at a loss why the full ticket is forfeited as the company can still sell seats. It's compeltely disappointing on my end as I had cancelled the ticket and also told after the fact that it was not an issue that I would receive travel funds. 

With this type of trust issue with Southwest, one wonders if this is an honest company? 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@houstonflier wrote:

I completely agree. I lost my funds given that I did cancel but did not register on the system on their end. Futhermore, an agent told me after the fact that it was no problem and their system have glithces. However, there was no good will for customer service for my 2 lost tickets. I'm at a loss why the full ticket is forfeited as the company can still sell seats. It's compeltely disappointing on my end as I had cancelled the ticket and also told after the fact that it was not an issue that I would receive travel funds. 

With this type of trust issue with Southwest, one wonders if this is an honest company? 

If you canceled your flight at least ten minutes prior to scheduled departure, you can find your travel funds here, there shouldn't be any other info you need over the phone.

https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@houstonflier wrote:

Southwest places the responsibility for ensuring that a flight is positively cancelled on the customer. You receive a confirmation email after cancelling -- this is your proof, and without it you have no recourse. Never trust anything a phone rep might tell you without receiving it in writing.

Unfortunately, as you've learned, application of the no-show policy causes the forfeit of all funds associated with the itinerary -- including the return flight. I agree that this aspect is somewhat punitive, since that flight could still be needed, or alternately still cancelled well prior to triggering the rule. And in any case, Southwest is able to sell that now open seat. But that's how Southwest does it. And I see no dishonesty since the policy is clearly shown online during purchase, and is repeated on all confirmation messages.

A rule-of-thumb we often recommend here is booking only one-way flights -- this is another example of why that's a good idea.

sr103
Explorer A

I get nabbed about 4x / yr due to 'no-show' policy (out of 100 -200 flights / yr, makes it tough to remember.

But I NEVER missed a cancellation when SWA was so kind to send a; "Your Trip is just around the corner" email.~ 24hrs before boarding.  So much for the 'Good-ole-days'... 6+ yrs ago.  Maybe the IT department is funded by the many of us forfieting flights.  (I live and work overseas ~ 50% of the time so very easy to MISS an opportunity  to cancel since SWA website does not work from some countries (like Singapore).