Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

No-show Penalty Got Me - Would Like Texts

Snoopy
Explorer C

Last night (Saturday) I tried to purchase a flight for Tuesday, returning Friday. All went as planned except internet service was abysmal and I ended up starting over on the website half a dozen times (maybe more). I was booking an internal Mexico flight (Interjet) at the same time and ended up reloading their website as well. In the end, I inadvertently booked my SouthWest flight for today, returning Wednesday, rather than for Tuesday to Friday. Everything was great until I received the "We are sorry but thanks for your money" email shortly after the scheduled flight time. No blame on Southwest, just wondering if there is a way to get a couple of aids for dummies like me.

First, when the website suggests itineraries based on previoius searches, can it land those suggestions on the same dates, rather than just the same airports and duration. I noticed a while ago that when you reload the website, it sometimes defaults to the same cities and duration, but shifted to the next day rather than the original dates. I am assuming this is why I booked for the wrong dates. Obviously, I don'r really know what happened as I didn't realize the error until I received the lovely "Thank you" note. Still my bad. I should have checked, but would like some help to keep me from doing this again.

Second, is there a way to set up the Southwest app to send a notification to my phone x hours ahead of my flight. A couple of other airlines I use (Southwest service within Canada and Mexico is a bit limited) provide this service. Today, a notification like this would probably have saved me a few hundred dollars. On the other hand, SouthWest would have missed out on my donation . .  

One more suggestion would be to at least provide the Rapid Rewards credit for the flight. . .

Not sure if the community has a lot of influence with the company, but thought I would try making the suggestions anyway.

19 REPLIES 19

Re: No-show Penalty Got Me - Would Like Texts

bec102896
Aviator A

@Snoopy

Sorry to hear of your experience. It's never fun to mistakenly book the wrong date then become a no show because of the error. 

The best advice I have for you would be to reach out to customer relations at 855-234-4654 and maybe they could help 

I know it's a little late now but maybe you could have visited the airport and they might have been able to help with rebooking. You could still try to go to the airport (if your near it) and maybe they could help with at least trying to get you booked on the correct flight that you wanted.

With the alerts I know you can sign up for text alerts but you would input the flight and date and time so if you booked the wrong date it wouldn't affect the alert as you would be setting it up for the date you choose However you can sign up for alerts Here. *this feature is going away sometime this year. 

hope it works out!

Blake 

Snoopy
Explorer C

Thanks for the suggestion. I will contact Customer Relations to see if they can help.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @Snoopy

The Community is highly valued, and the feedback we've received here is circulated to the appropriate internal departments. I'm sorry you ended up missing your flight. Like @bec102896 said, it's never a good feeling. I can't guarantee a refund, but you can always contact our Customer Relations Department and explain that it was an accident. Thanks for taking time to post and share your suggestions. I know it it was a frustrating situation, but I hope that we'll have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@Snoopy wrote:

Last night (Saturday) I tried to purchase a flight for Tuesday, returning Friday. All went as planned except internet service was abysmal and I ended up starting over on the website half a dozen times (maybe more). I was booking an internal Mexico flight (Interjet) at the same time and ended up reloading their website as well. In the end, I inadvertently booked my SouthWest flight for today, returning Wednesday, rather than for Tuesday to Friday. Everything was great until I received the "We are sorry but thanks for your money" email shortly after the scheduled flight time. No blame on Southwest, just wondering if there is a way to get a couple of aids for dummies like me.

See below - there are several email reminders and I recommend a third-party app

First, when the website suggests itineraries based on previoius searches, can it land those suggestions on the same dates, rather than just the same airports and duration. I noticed a while ago that when you reload the website, it sometimes defaults to the same cities and duration, but shifted to the next day rather than the original dates. I am assuming this is why I booked for the wrong dates. Obviously, I don'r really know what happened as I didn't realize the error until I received the lovely "Thank you" note. Still my bad. I should have checked, but would like some help to keep me from doing this again.

Second, is there a way to set up the Southwest app to send a notification to my phone x hours ahead of my flight. A couple of other airlines I use (Southwest service within Canada and Mexico is a bit limited) provide this service. Today, a notification like this would probably have saved me a few hundred dollars. On the other hand, SouthWest would have missed out on my donation . .  

Yes - you can setup a reminder to check-in by allowing notifications

One more suggestion would be to at least provide the Rapid Rewards credit for the flight.

This they will not do - the rewards are only earned for flying. 

Not sure if the community has a lot of influence with the company, but thought I would try making the suggestions anyway. (Yes - suggestions below, No we probably cannot effect a change to the default dates when the page reloads.)

There are some settings in the app that would prompt you to check-in, I also recommend using third-party apps to help manage air travel - right now my favorite is "App in the Air" which would have prompted you to check-in based on their import of the flight from your email account - in this way you would have had a 24-hour notice of the incorrect dates, if you didn't log in to your account or app and notice it prior to that.

I've also used "Trip It" in the past, but I find it doesn't work as well with Southwest's email chain related to flights.

I also get reminder emails from Southwest "ready to fly? and "did you get a hotel or car yet?" but perhaps you have opted out of these messages, or ignored them or else read them but didn't notice the unexpected dates since you are expecting the other dates to be there.

I had this happen myself once flying Porter to Montreal. Some odd combo of back button or reload and I ended up booking an incorrect flight! Luckily when reading my confirmation email I noticed that it wasn't correct and the 24-hour no-questions cancellation was still applicable.

My best advice for anyone reading this thread: read your confirmation email when it comes and check the dates, times, and airports, you have 24 hours to cancel it no questions asked and re-book if you've made a mistake!

Unfortunately I can't help you much @Snoopy other than go to the airport as if you were flying when you expected to do so, and see if they can help you. The "flat tire" rule will be a stretch here since it is over multiple days. You may also have already re-booked for the desired days - in that case ask for a LUV as a consolation, it is (understandably) difficult for staff to initiate a refund when it isn't according to policy, but maybe a manager there can sympathize with you and your internet troubles for a future credit. Especially if you fly back and forth often.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, I can't add much the suggestions that have been offered here. But I will ask if you can please return and let us know if Southwest was able to make any concessions for you, after you've contacted them. I noted that an official rep suggested you do so, but it's my understanding that the no-show policy is enforced strictly. Good luck.

Snoopy
Explorer C

Thanks very much for the thoughtful response, and especially for the app recommendation. Have used Trip-it before but experienced some of the same inconsistency you describe. And, yes, will be checking the confirmation emails a bit more carefully, at least for a while until complacency sets in again. Thanks very much.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Snoopy wrote:

Thanks very much for the thoughtful response, and especially for the app recommendation. Have used Trip-it before but experienced some of the same inconsistency you describe. And, yes, will be checking the confirmation emails a bit more carefully, at least for a while until complacency sets in again. Thanks very much.

I had trouble wiht Trip It importing multiple versions of my itineraries and also not adjuting to changes that I made - the original and changed flights would both be in there after the change.

App in the Air so far has handled Southwest a little better, although I also haven't been flying a lot in the past quarter to test them out including changes to flights, but I see it as a possible future blog post on the ocmmunity about using different third-party apps.

NikitaKosholkin
Explorer C

@Snoopy Hello! Very sad to hear such an unpleasant situation. As for the situation, I always try to contact customer support and explain the situation. In most cases, you might get help or some steps from the airline.

Glad that here on the forum, people mentioned our app - App in the Air. Yes, it does help manage your travel life, including alerts about check-in reminder. Moreover, you can have other useful travel features like checklist for your trips, airports tips from frequent travelers and much more. Let me know if you have any questions. Have a safe trip and hope you managed your case with flights. Nikita, co-founder. 

**Moderator edited to remove email address**

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@NikitaKosholkin wrote:

@Snoopy Hello! Very sad to hear such an unpleasant situation. As for the situation, I always try to contact customer support and explain the situation. In most cases, you might get help or some steps from the airline.

Glad that here on the forum, people mentioned our app - App in the Air. Yes, it does help manage your travel life, including alerts about check-in reminder. Moreover, you can have other useful travel features like checklist for your trips, airports tips from frequent travelers and much more. Let me know if you have any questions. Have a safe trip and hope you managed your case with flights. Nikita, co-founder. 

We had a lot of visitors recently and the app was also very smooth in terms of tracking other people's trips that we wanted to be aware of separately from my own trips during the same time period.  In fact I had to call my parents at PNS to let them know the gate had changed....