Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

No show

B5314051
Explorer C

My mother-in-law booked a ticket from Houston to LAX recently and had to reschedule at the last minute.  After processing the cancellation and receiving a confirmation number she was later told that she was a no show and that she had forfeited her credit.  Please let me know how this can be resolved.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: No show

chgoflyer
Aviator A

On Southwest, when you cancel a flight,  the funds associated with the itinerary are held under the original confirmation number for that flight -- there's not a new confirmation number generated for the cancellation. There is, however, an email confirmation sent that verifies the cancellation. If your mother has that email confirmation (or any other proof that she cancelled the flight at least 10 minutes prior to departure, such as screenshots of the cancellation confirmation message from the website) she should contact Customer Relations and have them look into the issue.

Be aware however that Southwest enforces their "no show" policy very strictly. So much so that, in the case of a possible IT glitch or website/app error, the responsibility for proving that the cancellation did indeed happen rests completely on the customer. Without any of the proof I mentioned above, Southwest will absolutely not reinstate the forfeited funds.

Good luck.

Re: No show

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@B5314051 wrote:

My mother-in-law booked a ticket from Houston to LAX recently and had to reschedule at the last minute.  After processing the cancellation and receiving a confirmation number she was later told that she was a no show and that she had forfeited her credit.  Please let me know how this can be resolved.

Hopefully this was a mixup due to the close timing - if she got the confirmation of the cancelation, the automated system may have sent out an erroneous "no show" email as well?

Check here to see if she does indeed have travel funds or not with the information from the confirmation of canceling:

https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html

Another idea: hopefully she hadn't accidentally bought two tickets, but only canceled one.

Another idea: did she cancel between ten minutes to depature and departure? That would satisfy the criteria of canceling the ticket and receiving a confirmation but not earning any travel funds.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.