Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Non-refundable/name change

serpico
Explorer C

I already know the answer that's going to be given to me, but here it goes...

The person that I booked a flight for with my card will not be traveling. AT ALL. I had to cancel the "non-refundable" trip, and the said person on the ticket will not be traveling within the next calendar year using the now canceled travel funds. Which means Southwest will keep my $255 in a sort of limbo for the next year, where then afterwards they'll finally take it. 

Who may I talk to at Southwest to change their policy about a refund, or, at least, put that $255 towards a travel fund under the card holders name (my name). Otherwise, yes, I'm out $255.

I'm a frequent customer at Southwest, and I'd like it to stay that way. 

Thank you

Jordan

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Non-refundable/name change

franktravel
Aviator B

I would try this:

For all other refund requests, including refund exceptions on nonrefundable travel and refund consideration on all "paper" tickets, you may:

Write to Refunds Department at the address below.

Contact Information

Southwest Airlines
Refunds Department
P.O. Box 36649
Dallas, Texas 75235-1649

Re: Non-refundable/name change

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The refund request is a waste of time, it will be denied. Those are only (sometimes) granted in the case of death or major medical issues, with documentation. Non-refundable means non-refundable.

Your best bet to recover at least some of your funds, is to wait until they are expired, and then contact Customer Relations, and request the expired funds be reissued as a voucher. The fee for this is $100, which is deducted from the balance. You have 6 months from expiration in which to make the request, and the voucher, usable by anyone, will be valid for 6 months from the date of issue. These requests are granted on a case-by-case basis, and everything about this non-published policy, including the amount of the fee, is subject to change at any time.

Hope this helps -- good luck!